Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Snow Plowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must get a lot of wet snow in your parts. Wet snow really does tend to weigh down a full blade. I use a 400cc too and that has happened to me as well. When I'm clearing the wet stuff or taking heavy passes, I just take smaller cuts, maybe a half blade. Personally, I generally just like to work with what I have and adjust the plan of attack accordingly. One reason is for convenience, i.e. not having to load/unload weight, install/uninstall chains, etc. The other is that I know I am using my machines to their designed limits and not adding any other extra stress onto the machine by finding workarounds. Makes maintenance a lot easier and softer on the pocket book…but like you said, it's just what works for me.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I get the same kind of thing with the Outlander 650 where it will push the front end sideways if I have the blade all the way to one side or the other. Just adds to the fun.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Last snow was 12-13" and in spots I would leave the blade all the way up and clear a path then come back and get the rest. I also did the half cut thing. Thankfully it was all fluffy snow and even where I couldn't get with the blade or snowblower was easy to shovel. You just have to do with what works at the time.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Range Rover

I try to plow with the storm so I usually don't get that far behind but the wind drifts can be even worse than the storm itself.

If you think going sideways is fun, try vertical plowing.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always plowed with a 4x4 500 without chains. My rear rack is rated high enough to put 3 sandbags on it. I've tried plowing with 2 or 3 sandbags on and without any. With the extra weight I hardly need 4WD. Without the weight I got stuck in 2WD where you wouldn't even think I would. I don't change my tire pressure either. I just put the plow and sandbags on and I'm set for winter. Take them off and I'm ready for spring without changing anything else.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always plowed with my atv's -
anything in the 500 range is fine- really depends on the kind of snow and how big the blade is.
as mentioned above; the full electric lockers (yamaha, suzuki & AC) can make it hard to steer and are really meant to be used in short, straight holes at slow speeds. The kawasucki front diff is miserable with the analog lever you have to hold in to apply different levels of "lock" pressure - I'd recommend one of the atv's with the auto locker like the can-am outlandr or polaris sportsman- that way you can just put it in 4x4 and let the atv decide when to lock & unlock the front diff depending on traction.
The sportsman 500 or outlander 650 are great machines.

power steering is great, especially for people with wrist, arm, shoulder & back injuries- but you wont need it to plow.
I use my outty 1000 max with a 60" plow & 28" mega meyhams with about 4 or 5 psi in each tire, I typically don't change my tire pressure unless I'm riding very rocky trails- never needed tire chains either and I plow up hill- and it gets great traction. the extra hp does come in handy when I need to push the snow pile back to make some room- but it depends on traction & power at that point.

Attached Thumbnails Snow Plowing-outty-plow-1-.jpg   Snow Plowing-outty-plow-3-.jpg   Snow Plowing-outty-plow-2-.jpg  
Old 03-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

Lots of good info.
One more thing. Some ATVs have independent rear axle and
some have a solid rear axle. I know the difference but is one
better for snow plowing? And is one stronger?
Anyone ever break a axle?
Thanks, Kliph

Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Solid axle machines are typically considered better for towing, and for power sliding around corners.

Independent rear suspension (IRS) has better ground clearance and a more comfortable ride. If you have a bad back the IRS is tons better. In mud, snow, and rocks, and downed trees the IRS will clear it better than a solid axle.

Don't think it matters as much in plowing where you're clearing your own path for the quad.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you want an IRS for plowing and trail riding.
SRA for closed course, sand & pit riding.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:40 PM
Trailblazer

I'm trying to make it easier to pick one.
So I narrowed it down to what I need.
Power steering and auto transmission, 4x4.
Mid range quad, not too small and not too big.
Any other needs?

I plan on using it for plowing and some trail riding, but
only on my land,18 acres.
Anyone know if I need to register it
if I use it only on my property, in NY State?

Quick Reply: Snow Plowing