Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV for a specific situation: wheels or tracks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Been following this thread. Scary situation. While we get the ice storms that knock out power for a week every 10 years or so, we don't have to deal with the threat of tsunamis as much as you guys do out there. (Unless a certain island off the West Coast of Africa slides into the ocean.) I'm in New England and have been thinking about what would work best. With a regular quad we've been able to climb near vertical rocks up to about 3 feet tall. Can't be any taller than that because the front tires have to get over the obstacle as you'll lose traction if all four tires are climbing near vertical. As far as downed trees go, we've been able to go over about 18" with stock 25" tires. That's about max from my experience.

So, my thought is something like this: IN-STOCK 2014 HDI 8X8 CAMO #RTS 35384 With a full length track it could crawl over obstacles better than a tire and there wouldn't be a separate rear track to get hung up. Only thing I don't like is that the top speed is 17 mph or so. I think I'd rather be going a lot faster in your scenario.
Jim Shockey gets around in them things on his shows pretty well out in the sticks. The only concerns id have is the ground clearance and there is no suspension. If it got hung up(high centered) youd be getting the winch out for sure. If it'll reach anything. They also use a chain drive if im not mistaken(his had a chain break on one of his shows before) so if the chain gets knocked ff your screwed.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

How about something like this. No speed limiter that I know of and it will certainly do a better job getting over downed obstacles.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I was thinking of the 6x6 too but forgot about it.

The Can-Am may come out by the end of this year.

Polaris has the Big Boss 6x6 out now.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So, to give everyone an idea of the devastation per the Dec '07 storm I was referring to:

Picture taken Jan '08 just east of Seaside, OR.

This picture was taken from quite the distance and these trees are very large. Height on these trees were easily 100 - 150 ft. which was confirmed by a Coast Guard Helo pilot friend of mine who lived in the area at the time.

Notice this was an entire area sheared off. Yes, a logging company did try and go through recovering salvageable timber but a lot was not salvageable. So there a lot if it sits waiting for natural progression turning it back to fertile forest. I'm not sure of WA, but I do know that areas as such were replanted to get the reforestation process moving quicker.

I'm not saying Old_Warhorse would be subject to something this bad, but where she lives was also severely affected by this same '07 storm along with many winter storms at a slightly lesser caliber every season where gusts to 80mph is not uncommon. It is quite the site to see if you have never been to the PNW coast during winter storms. Portland and Seattle have no idea the intensity of these storms unless they have personally been through them before.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
So, to give everyone an idea of the devastation per the Dec '07 storm I was referring to:

This picture was taken from quite the distance and these trees are very large. Height on these trees were easily 100 - 150 ft. which was confirmed by a Coast Guard Helo pilot friend of mine who lived in the area at the time.

Notice this was an entire area sheared off. Yes, a logging company did try and go through recovering salvageable timber but a lot was not salvageable. So there a lot if it sits waiting for natural progression turning it back to fertile forest. I'm not sure of WA, but I do know that areas as such were replanted to get the reforestation process moving quicker.

I'm not saying Old_Warhorse would be subject to something this bad, but where she lives was also severely affected by this same '07 storm along with many winter storms at a slightly lesser caliber every season where gusts to 80mph is not uncommon. It is quite the site to see if you have never been to the PNW coast during winter storms. Portland and Seattle have no idea the intensity of these storms unless they have personally been through them before.
ok,well a tank is your best bet then. LOL. If you do use an atv,it may not get very far depending where going i suppose,but a couple chainsaws strapped to the atv may be the next best tool,next to a winch.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They make tracks that go over the rear wheels of the Polaris Big Boss 6x6 that make it into a half-track. That might work for your situation. It would be a best of both worlds solution. If the tracks broke you would still have 6 wheel drive.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Been following this thread. Scary situation. While we get the ice storms that knock out power for a week every 10 years or so, we don't have to deal with the threat of tsunamis as much as you guys do out there. (Unless a certain island off the West Coast of Africa slides into the ocean.) I'm in New England and have been thinking about what would work best. With a regular quad we've been able to climb near vertical rocks up to about 3 feet tall. Can't be any taller than that because the front tires have to get over the obstacle as you'll lose traction if all four tires are climbing near vertical. As far as downed trees go, we've been able to go over about 18" with stock 25" tires. That's about max from my experience.

So, my thought is something like this: IN-STOCK 2014 HDI 8X8 CAMO #RTS 35384 With a full length track it could crawl over obstacles better than a tire and there wouldn't be a separate rear track to get hung up. Only thing I don't like is that the top speed is 17 mph or so. I think I'd rather be going a lot faster in your scenario.

MooseHenden, yes, I've seen some 'geek tv' stories on this, as well as read an article or two on the Canary Island volcanoes and land slide problem, and the idea of a nearly 200 foot wave is definitely terrifying! But you would likely have at least 6 hours to get to some very high ground, so hopefully you will be safe. The people I would really hate to be are the ones in the larger cities on the East Coast, who would pretty much just be able to panic for a few hours before it was all over.

Yep, I really do need to be able to travel 20mph at the very least, as we've got 4 miles to go and 15 to 20 minutes in which to get there. In all honesty, I don't know if any ATV would be able to cut it in the allotted time. The terrain that would exist here after a large quake would be untraversable in a timely manner in anything other than a modern tracked APC or something like a DUKW and there's no chance of being able to afford, obtain and maintain something like that. And if I did manage to get an old Soviet BMP or a DUKW, the weight of the darned thing would pretty much ensure that it sank up past the tracks/wheels when the soil liquifies during the quake, so they're out too.

And that said, if anyone becomes aware of some sort of vehicle that's plausible to obtain, operate and maintain that wouldn't sink past the wheels/tracks when the soil liquefies and could actually traverse such broken, soft, wet ground, please let me know! Not that I'll hold my breath for that eventuality, 'cause I just don't look good that shade of blue.

*takes her Kobayashi Maru with as much dignity as she can muster*

Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, hey, I didn't see this second page! *runs off to check things out*

Old 03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by RedRocket204

Yep, a lot of the area hereabouts looked like this. The Quinault rain forest lost thousands of trees, including huge ancient Western Red Cedar and Sitka Spruce that were more than 4' in diameter. Almost all of the trees were snapped off above the ground and it looked like Godzilla had gone through and decided to play pick-up-sticks by knocking them over. The shattered ends looked like the ends of broken toothpicks.

We were luckly here in Ocean Shores, there aren't that many large trees in town around houses and buildings. We did have a few large trees go down, but they weren't positioned to take out property or lives, thankfully!

Also, RedRocket204, the whole Puget Sound area did get hammered during that storm. There were trees down across power lines and we did lose several people over there as a direct result of the storm. Friends in Redmond were without power for 5 days, other friends in slightly more remote areas were without power for 10 days.

Heee! You're right, we do get sufficient wind storms out here that we don't pay that much attention to wind warnings until they start going over 60mph, then we might decide to stay in and call discretion the better part of valor. I have some acquaintances who live on the Isle of Man, in the Irish Sea between Britain and Ireland, and they get even worse storms on a regular basis. There's always someone that has it worse...

Old 03-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
ok,well a tank is your best bet then. LOL. If you do use an atv,it may not get very far depending where going i suppose,but a couple chainsaws strapped to the atv may be the next best tool,next to a winch.
Sadly, even if I had an M1A2, it wouldn't do me any good because it would sink up to the top of the tracks, if not further, when the ground liquifies in the quake. That be the problem out here on this dratted sand bar.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't have time to use a chainsaw, or likely even the winch. I'll have to traverse 4 miles of extremely broken ground, likely also very wet, soupy and soft ground, in as little as 15 minutes to as much as 20 minutes.

I do like the idea of the 6 wheeled ATVs and may have a look at those to see if they might manage the terrain that would result from the quake they're predicting.

Quick Reply: ATV for a specific situation: wheels or tracks?