Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which 450?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 450?

Hey, I used to have a couple utility atvs years ago and then moved up to a couple dirt bikes. I sold the bikes about 2 years ago and have been really interested in buying a used sport quad. I have been doing my research and it's hard to pin point which quad would be best for me due to so many biased opinions. I will be riding mainly in some abandoned pits near my house and some trails. The trails aren't really narrow or anything so I am not too concerned with bike width. I am leaning towards a 2007 yfz450 or ds450. Due to the price probably nothing newer than an '08. I have heard that the ds lacks low end torque but makes up for it in top end? Any help is appreciated thanks in advance!

- Dan

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a Yamaha guy, so I vote YFZ, lol. The DS has some nice features though. What you have heard about the powerband is correct. CanAm wanted to have the hp title and they had it when it first came out but it was a narrower powerband. An exhaust and tuner will fix that issue so if it already has thatvor you budget for it, no problems. Heck, you might even like the powerband stock.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, can you tell my why you prefer the Yamaha over the can am?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yamaha is a lot cheaper I have a few yamahas and there pretty good ktm is also good