Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Polaris, Can am, or Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris, Can am, or Yamaha

Long story short, I have a can am ds 70 and outlander max xt. The max xt had an issue from the factory that has led to it and the ds 70 to be traded in. I loved the outlander, its power was awesome and it rarely got me stuck (im a beginner on an atv, no mods were done to it) but now that Im trading it in, Im thinking these other brands have some nice features. I want opinions of machines based on riding experience (everyone I talk to about it is VERY brand biased). Heres what i like/dislike about each machine (and the machines im looking at). Sidenote, I do minor trail riding, and go mudding, occasional rock crawling, and use it to plow.

2014 Polaris Sportsman touring le (2 up) I like how smooth it is, its like riding on a cloud. The features it comes with are awesome, and it allows for the wife to ride with me. I DISLIKE the single brake lever, seems silly to me. I also dislike the awd. I prefer to hit a switch/lever and know I have 4wd.

2014 Can Am outlander Max 650 xt I love the can am power, but past experience with it makes me edgy of the brand. The machine comes with pretty good tires and allows the wife to ride with. I dislike visco-lok. As an automotive mechanic, I dislike viscous clutches all around (leaky, unreliable) and it seems like the machine has to go back to the dealer for oil change reminder reset.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 700 I LOVE the way they have 4wd with electric locker. It is depressing that the machine is not a 2 up, but I am hoping that if I go this route I can convince my wife to get her own 1 up. I am nervous about the single cylinder (heard that the larger displacement singles were gas hogs and low on power) but beyond that I like the grizzly.

The machines will be abused, I ride in mud up to the fenders regularly and we have an area nearby that has land mass above water (so its like riding on jello mud!) my buddy has a rancher and wants to get a foreman, I believe that all three machines will hold up but wanted honest opinions from riders. The reason I am limited to these machines is the dealer that I am working with sells these brands and they are giving me a deal on trade in. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Had a Polaris Sportsman X2. The Touring is based on the same frame with a newer A-arm front end and lighter rear springs than the X2. Loved the ride. Felt it rode better than the Outlander Max I now have. I feel the Can-Ams tend to pogo a bit because of the rear trailing arm suspension. Like the Polaris CVT better than the Can-Am. Polaris was much quieter. Love the power of the Outlander 650. Don't feel like I'd ever need more. Perfect blend for the New England riding we do. Rocks, mud, water, rocks, tree roots, rocks, and snow. One of the things I liked better about the Outlander Max is that there is still room for a large storage box on the rear even when you have the passenger seat in place. Not nearly as much on the Touring. Ideally I'd like the room, and power of the Outlander with the ride and transmission of the Polaris.

Haven't been on a Grizzly for at least a few years now so can't judge how they are.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 polaris it has had quite a few problems and I have a 2001 yamaha ttr125 and I've had no problems with it
I have never owned a can am but I've heard there really good but also very expensive

Old 04-30-2014, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

One of the things that makes a Can-Am "expensive" is that the base models are quite a bit more than others' base models. But, if you go with one of their packages like the XT package the Can-Am is much more competitive. I priced out the Polaris Touring 850 and the Can-Am Outlander Max XT 800 for comparison. If you were to add all the things the Max had to a Touring you'd come out a few hundred dollars apart.