Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Shout-out to BRP / Can-Am! 2 thumbs up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:43 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shout-out to BRP / Can-Am! 2 thumbs up!!!

we all read so many negative things about manufacturers and the lack of support people receive- seldom do you see positive posts praising one...

well, let me share the experience I had today with a senior case manager straight from BRP / Can-Am...

first, my letter I emailed to BRP stating the issue:

Hello... ...

I just had a discussion with my dealer regarding my new 2013 outtlander 1000 max xt vin#(.......................) and its brake pads- and a $50 deductible payment to fix an issue with the headlight switch that was caused either by the dealer installing factory headed grips / thumb warmer or a bad factory part.

1st- My new outlander has 319 miles on it and I was informed by the dealer today that every pad was down to metal!

This is inconceivable to me. How can an atv chew through 3 sets of pads (2 front / 1 rear) in under 300 miles? Especially when75% of those miles are on open logging roads- and, since the brakes are seldom needed / used in the first place due to the strong engine braking. I've only used this atv maybe 4-5 times since I bought it- It's washed after EVERY ride and stored in a heated garage.

2nd- I brought my outlander into the dealer to have them install factory heated grips and thumb warmer- while unloading the atv from the trailer at the house that night, I noticed the the hi beam / low beam head lights did not work properly (they worked fine before the heated grips were installed by the dealer). I called the dealer and informed them of the issue and was told it could be a faulty switch. The dealer informed me they are charging me a $50 deductible to have it warranty replaced!

To sum it up: I don’t expect to spend $200+/- every other ride to replace brake pads- this is unreasonable and just plain silly! I’m also fuming that I’m stuck paying a $50 fee to have an issue fixed that was either caused by the dealer’s tech improperly installing the heated grips- or at the very least was a defective factory part to begin with!

I've owned 8 outlanders in the past 4 years (2 were purchased new from a can-am dealer) and I’ve every intention on buying new outlanders in the future for my children as well as purchasing new models for myself, as new models arrive- If BRP / Can-Am expects to keep me as a loyal customer- and expects me to pay a premium ($10,000 +) to own what I believed to be a cutting edge, quality atv- then they need to fix this brake pad issue! I simply WILL NOT buy another can-am product if I can expect to only get 300 miles from a set of brake pads on an atv that’s seldom used and religiously maintained.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustration- I patiently await your response.

Sincerely,

That letter was sent on Wednesday morning (6/4/14)

Today (2 days later) I received my second callback from BRP;
BRP explained that in 2012, they went to an all "organic" brake pad to solve the chatter issue people were complaining about on previous model years. These new organic pads solved the chatter issue and stopped the atv much quicker, but were susceptible to water & dust, when combined, caused the pads to "melt" or wear down much quicker than the metallic pads did that were offered pre 2012... as a result of this issue, anyone who bought a new can-am atv 2012+ and had / has the can-am warranty, will have their pads replaced free of charge if their atv has 300 miles or less on it (mine went in with 321 miles on it) BRP sent out a TSB to all dealers explaining this issue and how to rectify it.

And, how did Can-Am rectify it.... they gave me a full refund on the bill ($340) which included a service charge (plugs, oil, filters, all points lube) + the charge for parts & labor for the brakes to be replaced + an additional $50 for my woe's + a free service (parts & labor) to have my brakes replaced again with metallic pads once these new ones they just installed wear out in the future! And a direct line to the senior case manager if I should have any other issues with my outlander in the future!

Can-Am not only met my expectations, but went far beyond! I felt that experience needed to be shared with others who are shopping for atv's

Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's good to know they stand behind their product.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

How it should be. I just wish Ford and GM were that concerned with keeping a customer.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:27 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Good to hear they not only took care of you , but other owners as well.

Any chance you can get a picture of the grin you'll have on your face when you go back to the dealer?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YEAH great news nice to get cofidence back from manufacturer refund check always feels nice too

Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Good to hear they not only took care of you , but other owners as well.

Any chance you can get a picture of the grin you'll have on your face when you go back to the dealer?
lol- spoke to him today... he simply informed me I'd be seeing a credit in my account within 3 days

his lack of conversation spoke volumes about how he felt- I hope he marinated that crow overnight... I heard they can be tough eat'in

Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good news, glad they stepped up.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like BRP is a good company to deal with,the dealer not quite as much or maybe he just didn't try as hard to do something about this problem with BRP before you did? Anyway,glad it's resolved in your behalf.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's usually the dealer who try's to skate on the warranty. Takes them longer to get paid and I hear they have to cut the manufacturer a discount. Sadly, The bigger deal you make(without being rude), the better chance you hav of getting what you . You handled it nicely beergut

Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by hondar24
it's usually the dealer who try's to skate on the warranty. Takes them longer to get paid and i hear they have to cut the manufacturer a discount. Sadly, the bigger deal you make(without being rude), the better chance you hav of getting what you . You handled it nicely beergut
x2