Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Purchasing 3 Quads for Family Please Recommend Newbies

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing 3 Quads for Family Please Recommend Newbies

First off thanks in advance I am not sure of what to get but I am looking to purchase within the next few months.

My family are entering the Sport of ATV riding we are joining a local group in upstate NY trails are woods with mud and general recreation and my wives a family quad for snowplowing and riding along with us

3 quads,

DAD 45 Some experience when I was 16 so newbie
I am looking for a sport-but nothing crazy riding mainly rec stuff

MOM 40 Has experience growing up in a farm rec quads
Looking for a rec she can ride with us and put a plow on and should
carry a passenger 6 year old boy as a passenger

SON 10 boy 5 foot no experience
Sport atv

This is just to start us into this sport any recommendations would be appreciated!!

Also anyone have a recommendation of a dirtbike for my son, and maybe something i can ride beginner

THANKS ALOT
KAMP

Old 09-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kamp, I am in Rochester, where are you looking to ride? I love sport quads, and am about your age. For the 10y/o, hard to beat a trx 90 if he is into shifting for himself (it isn't hard to pick up, no manual clutch) one of the little ttr Yamaha or crf Hondas are great dirtbike for younger kids too.

For wife, look for something 4x4, possibly on a smaller chassis depending on her size. Power steering would be a good addition, and generally I would look for something in the 400+ cc range since you want to move snow. A lot of choices out there, she will just have to sit and hopefully even test ride a few to see what fits. Riding double is better on a machine built for it. There are some nice 2 up machines out there, but I would recommend looking at something like the Pioneer 500 or smaller polaris rangers. It is much more fun for the passenger if they don't have to look around/over mom to see where they are going

For you, your front runners are the 400ex/400x, z400, and 700 Raptor. All have some good merits, I would be happy spending a day on any of them.

Also, are you looking new or used. Budget? Keep in mind, riding with young kids on minis means you will be moving a bit slower usually. They won't be slow forever, but it is worth considering in your own quads, as some are going to be more involved to ride at low speeds.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For the 10 year old, even something like a Honda 250ex would be a good choice. It has the semi-auto transmission just like the trx90 but he won't outgrow it for several years. At his 5ft height, it shouldn't be too big for him now. The 400 ex for you would be a great choice. For your wife, something like a Yamaha Kodiak 450 would be a great choice. It is a mid-size chassis that will probably be a comfortable size for her but still has ample power. It has 4x4 and cvt auto with high/low range, perfect for pushing a plow.

The following users liked this post:
Swamp dawg (09-10-2020)
Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Albany

I am outside Albany New york
Thanks for the great suggestions its a little overwhelming to say the list I agree the side by side is the route to go, the price tag is daunting.

I really appreciate the suggestions.

KAMP

Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find an older Polaris Ranger for a reasonable price. Many have a full bench seat so you can carry 3 at one time. I've seen older Ranger 500 models for $5000 or less. Might be able to find something like this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/snw/5182393914.html Should be plenty of power for the type of riding you plan to do. An older Yamaha Rhino would be good too but they only have room for 2. Can find a Rhino in the $5000 range as well. Like this http://stlouis.craigslist.org/snw/5234673746.html Either of those would be great for pushing your plow.