Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

The ins and outs of buying a new atv

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here we go again. First some assumptions. 1) I assume you know where the majority of your riding is going to be done at. 2) A decision whether a Utility versus a sport machine has already been made. Any other use of the machine has been determined too. 3) By the numbers, Utilities out sell sport machines 3 to 1. Anyway, once that is known, then decide what price range you are comfortable with. A lot of advice between new and used has already been given. For some there is no option BUT to purchase used. And that is OK. For others, you can get better deals on New and that is the way to go. Your choice. As for Type, I'd like to touch on that again. If you think you will need it for making work around the place a little easier, or that you will spend time either in the mountains, in the woods or if you may need a winch at some time, then a Ute may make a really good choice. I am a huge advocate for NOT choosing teh biggest thing out there to put between your legs. I rarely ever max out the throttle, or hit max speed. So that is unimportant to me. You may have other riding styles where that is the most important thing. Again your choice. Budget is always a big part of everything. So although it may be hard to walk past that 1000 super dooper sky rocket, resist the urge to "GO BIG". I once thought 500 CC was the most you would ever need. Well, after pulling 20 ft long logs all day with my Rubicon, I can see the advantage a little more power brings. Now the last bit of advice I would give you is this. Choose your dealer as carefully as you choose your machine. Look at this purchase as a long term relationship and accept the fact that they are in business not only to serve your needs, but to make money while they do it. If you feel you are not comfortable with one dealer, go elsewhere. But don't go in looking to get screwed, because inevitably you will if you go looking for it. Look at your purchase as an opportunity for them to help you and I think your positive attitude will go a long way. Some days, you will get great deals, others, the dealer will win. It always evens out. Make sure you buy you parts and accessories from the same place, and be a loyal customer. Believe me, it does matter.