Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First quad! Please help me decide between these three.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First quad! Please help me decide between these three.

So I'm planning to buy my first quad for utility (two horses, work around the farm, plowing, etc) and for trail riding. My budget is definitely no more than $8,000.

So far, I think I've narrowed it down to three:

2016 Honda Rubicon Deluxe (TRX500FA7)

2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 EFI EPS

2016 Yamaha Kodiak 700 SE

Please note that that the three most important factors are: 1.) power steering, 2.) a true 4WD system with diff lock, and 3.) an independent rear suspension, all in that order.

I really like the idea of having the DCT automatic/manual (electric shift) availability on the Honda for when I want to be in control of the gears. I also love the look of the Honda and the reliability that you get from the brand. I don't love the price tag, but I'm able to source one at the very max end of my budget. The diff lock is a great touch, too. (ATM, the Rubicon is my first pick)

When it comes to the Polaris and the Yamaha, I just don't know. I hear horror stories of constant repairs being needed, but then I hear from people that are super loyal to the brand and claim no issues whatsoever. I keep thinking that you pay for the reliability of the Honda, but at what point does it make sense to go with the power of the Polaris/Yamaha over the reliability of the Honda? Is Hondas reliability really that much better over the other two... more so that I should overlook the huge power difference?

ANY input is welcome and appreciated!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'm a diehard polaris fan. However I don't knock other brands. All three of the bikes on your list are great. Truly only you can decide what's right for you. My suggestion ... Test ride all three and have the dealer work out the out the door price for each bike. Then decide which one you want to have your backside sitting on for the next 10 years or more. I don't think you could go wrong with any one of those. Sorry if I'm not much help, but everyone is different in what they look for in an atv.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sportsman 570 at 44 HP and the Kodiak 700 at 48 HP both far outclass the Rubicon that only has 27 HP according to an article I looked at. I would rather have a Grizzly than a Kodiak but that wouldn't be within your budget. I'd probably get the Sportsman and use the little bit I saved to buy a winch.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sportsman 570 is probably going to be the least expensive and best bang for the buck. And will outperform the Rubicon by a noticeable amount and be pretty close in performance to the much larger displacement Kodiak. The Kawasaki Brute Force 750 eps would be another one to consider but I'm not sure it would be less than $8000 where you live. It does have quite a bit more power though. The Can-Am Outlander 570 L DPS would be another one to consider but again its more expensive than the Sportsman 570 but does have more power as well.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honda has a slight edge on reliability. Yamaha is very close in my mind. Don't know what you've been quoted on the Polaris 570 but I've heard about lots of people getting really good deals on them as Polaris rolls out the 2017's. Polaris has the most comfortable ride out there. If you have a bad back go with it. Also, Polaris has the highest on-board cargo capacities, and higher towing and rack ratings. The Yamaha would edge out the Honda by a mile and have an edge speed-wise on the Polaris. Just not as much of an advantage as the it has over the Honda.

With the kind of deal you could probably get on the Polaris you could buy quite a bit of trail gear.

All three will get you out there and back. As others have said, see if you can test drive them and get a feel for which you like better.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a card in the mail today from one of my local Polaris dealers. It says they have rebates of up to $1,000 on 2016 Sportsman ATVs. Other brands should be selling off their 2016s to make room for the 2017s so you may get a similar deal from them.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Have not owned any of these machines so I can only go buy what I have read in various forums and from friends. Honda's reliability sort of dropped off with the electric shift machines, it seems they have been having some issues with them and yes they are expensive to fix. Polaris has always been a more economical machine cost wise, they sell a bunch of them and they are popular but if you look in the repair/complaints they have the largest number of them. Yamaha has as good a reputation as any, lots of parts available and custom goodies as well. With any brand you can get a bad one so how good are the dealers in your area. In the past I have owned Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. My favorite machine and the one I never had any trouble with for 16 yrs was the Kawasaki. I have since moved into a side by side and after looking at all the different mfgrs and test riding them all I choose a "Kymco". Reason was best ride, best performance in its class, best warranty, best pricing, and a dealer that literally allowed me to go thru it with a fine tooth comb in their service dept and also allowed me a test ride on a test track. Not just a loop around the parking lot but a real test track with mud and jumps and hills etc to give it a real test. Whichever machine you choose look all of them over carefully, test ride, and not just a loop around the parking lot as a lot changes when the going gets tough. An awfull lot of what makes a machine a good choice or a bad choice is how well that particular machine fits your particular needs and comfort!! Let us know which one you choose and why.....good shopping

Old 08-16-2016, 09:40 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

but at what point does it make sense to go with the power of the Polaris/Yamaha over the reliability of the Honda?
Since when was a Yamaha or any other Japanese make not as reliable as Honda?
That's like saying a Honda car is more reliable than a Toyota or Mazda.

My cousin bought the 2015 EPS Rubicon and already had to change a sensor because it was stuck in one gear. It sure is a expensive 28hp ATV and shifting gears is just a chore and in Auto mode you sure can feel the gear jerk change unlike a CVT.
99% of 4x4 ATVs are not CVT because it's a bad idea.

My 2001 500 in low range can out pull his new Rubicon and in high range can out accerate it.

Not sure but I think the 700 Kodiak does not have diff-lock like the 700 Grizzly ,you may want to look into it.
Why is the 500 Suzuki KQ EPS not on your list, I know power is not on you list of wants but take it if offered. Most all 500s have always been in the 35 plus HP range , its more that the Honda 475cc OHV is under powered then the 500 OHC are over powered.

Honda is the only ones who do not use CVT on 4x4 and use a OHV motor vs a OHC or DOHC in a 4x4.
Being the odd man out is not necessarily a good thing.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Kodiak SE(the one in the original list) is the one that does offer diff-lock. You get the nicer wheels and tires too. The base model Kodiak doesn't have diff-lock but costs quite a bit less. There are 3 model of Kodiak. Base model which is the cheapest but no diff-lock. The EPS model which cost a little more but still no diff-lock. And the SE model which is the most expensive and has both eps and diff-lock and the nicer wheel and tire combo.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here they are side by side http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...=460560&go2=Go I can't believe the 475cc 28hp ohv Rubicon cost more then the 708cc 48hp DOHC Kodiak.
Then you have the Ground clearance, weight and gas tank advantage on top of the "not even in the same league" motor comparison.

Even up against the more expensive 680 Rincon it would be no contest.

When I trade ATVs with my cousin on rides to try his new 2015 Rubicon out , in about a half mile I wanted my 15 year old 500 back, but I did like the power steering part.

I did not like having no wheel spinning power and did not like the jerk feel when the tranny went to another gear in auto mode and E.S mode.

My cousin admitted he paid way to much for it's power class. $11,000 Canadian (I know,Welcome to Canada). The new 700 Grizzly and 750KQ was only $500 more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First quad! Please help me decide between these three.