ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Utility/Sport (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/369346-utility-sport.html)

Mike Kozlowski 09-29-2016 03:59 PM

Utility/Sport

First time posting here - cheers everyone! I'm looking to pick up a used quad and would like something that balances utility and sport. I'm in the process of buying a small farm and would like a good machine that I can use around there but then take it up to the dunes of Oregon. My thought was a Scrambler or maybe a Renegade, but worried using it for low end work might cause some undue stress and damage. Would love some input from some seasoned veterans. My experience is that I grew up riding pretty much everything: Mini Bike, CR80, ATC250R (my favorite), YZ125, CR480, 400EX, so I'm comfortable on anything as long as it fits my 6' 4" frame.

MooseHenden 09-29-2016 05:13 PM

I would look at the Polaris Sportsman or Can-Am Outlander. Both are good work machines and are very sporty where engine size can overcome the inherent weight of the 4x4. Outlander 650 has good power and is more controllable than the 800, 850 or 1000, which have crazy fun power. Polaris Sportsman is very sporty with the 850 and 1000 mills.

If you're looking for more sporty than utility the Polaris Scrambler and Can-Am Renegade are a little lighter but still have the power for towing and toting. The Renegade doesn't come with any racks but you can get a factory rear rack. The Scrambler comes with a decent rear rack and a small area in the front. My son put two-1 gallon Rotopax gas cans on the front of his without any issues and had a good sized bag on the back. I don't think the Renegade comes with a receiver hitch but the Scrambler does.

If you don't want a ton of sportiness there are tons of options. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Can-Am, and Honda all have good machines with 4wd from 450 cc's up to the mentioned 1000's. Don't know much about Arctic Cat.

user493 09-29-2016 06:21 PM

I don't know how sporty the ride on the Scramblers is but they have a low gear so they can do some serious work. The Renegade looks a lot sportier but may not be as good at work. Your best bet is to test ride them if you can.

Mike Kozlowski 09-29-2016 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by MooseHenden (Post 3339389)
I would look at the Polaris Sportsman or Can-Am Outlander. Both are good work machines and are very sporty where engine size can overcome the inherent weight of the 4x4. Outlander 650 has good power and is more controllable than the 800, 850 or 1000, which have crazy fun power. Polaris Sportsman is very sporty with the 850 and 1000 mills.

If you're looking for more sporty than utility the Polaris Scrambler and Can-Am Renegade are a little lighter but still have the power for towing and toting. The Renegade doesn't come with any racks but you can get a factory rear rack. The Scrambler comes with a decent rear rack and a small area in the front. My son put two-1 gallon Rotopax gas cans on the front of his without any issues and had a good sized bag on the back. I don't think the Renegade comes with a receiver hitch but the Scrambler does.

If you don't want a ton of sportiness there are tons of options. Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Can-Am, and Honda all have good machines with 4wd from 450 cc's up to the mentioned 1000's. Don't know much about Arctic Cat.

Thanks Moose, I thinks I'm leaning towards a Scrambler 850 or Sportsman 800/850. I found an article that stated that the newer Scramblers have much of the muscle and smooth riding of the Sportsman but way sportier. Like I said, I want something fun in the mud, hills, trails, and sand.

Mike Kozlowski 09-29-2016 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by jumbofrank (Post 3339396)
I don't know how sporty the ride on the Scramblers is but they have a low gear so they can do some serious work. The Renegade looks a lot sportier but may not be as good at work. Your best bet is to test ride them if you can.

Yeah, the older Scramblers are strictly sport so those are not an option. I'm just going to have to take a fewfor a spin like you said.

greg74 09-30-2016 09:20 AM

The Scrambler 850/1000 at least has a rear rack. The Renegade has one you can add as an accessory. The Scrambler rack doesn't have nearly the capacity of the Sportsman or any utility quads racks though. Its basically just for hauling a cooler or small toolbox. So as long as you don't want to haul anything too heavy, it would be fine.

MooseHenden 09-30-2016 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Kozlowski (Post 3339401)
Thanks Moose, I thinks I'm leaning towards a Scrambler 850 or Sportsman 800/850. I found an article that stated that the newer Scramblers have much of the muscle and smooth riding of the Sportsman but way sportier. Like I said, I want something fun in the mud, hills, trails, and sand.

I've been on my son's Scrambler and it is sporty handling. A lot of that is from the Fox shocks that came with it. His is the XP1000. Don't think the 850 has them. I rolled his machine up to about 10 mph and stabbed the throttle. Lifted the front end right off the ground. A lot of fun and it sure put a smile on my face. We've been in all the conditions you mentioned between a couple rides in Maine and an epic week in Utah riding the Paiute Trail and a quick trip to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. He was able to keep his Scrambler up on the sand in 2wd while I bogged down in 2wd and had to ride in 4wd not to sink in the sand. Our riding in Maine is lots of rocks, tree roots, a little sand, and a lot of water/mud holes. He's gotten through everything some of the more modified machines have. I've always liked the ride of the Polaris machines (I have nerve damage in my back) over the Can-Ams. Much less abusive.

MooseHenden 09-30-2016 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by greg74 (Post 3339456)
The Scrambler 850/1000 at least has a rear rack. The Renegade has one you can add as an accessory. The Scrambler rack doesn't have nearly the capacity of the Sportsman or any utility quads racks though. Its basically just for hauling a cooler or small toolbox. So as long as you don't want to haul anything too heavy, it would be fine.

I know the maker's rate things on the lower side. This is my son, Moose One's, buddy Paul's Scrambler XP1000 (We call them The Twins). He has a ton of weight in those bags. He's a prepper and takes just about everything he thinks he'll ever need on a ride. https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...59446033_o.jpg

TLC 09-30-2016 10:21 AM

The Scrambler, Renegade are the same ATV as the
Sportsman and outlander but with sporty plastics and no Racks. There is no true sport 4x4 ATV.

check this specs link 2016 Polaris ScramblerŽ XP 1000 Titanium Matte Lime ATVs Same same machine.

Having no racks will not make the Scrambler go up a dune any better than a Sportsman.

Mike Kozlowski 09-30-2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TLC (Post 3339473)
The Scrambler, Renegade are the same ATV as the
Sportsman and outlander but with sporty plastics and no Racks. There is no true sport 4x4 ATV.

check this specs link 2016 Polaris ScramblerŽ XP 1000 Titanium Matte Lime ATVs Same same machine.

Having no racks will not make the Scrambler go up a dune any better than a Sportsman.

Well there you have it! Thanks TLC - I guess I was more worried about low end work around the farm. Some would say get a tractor, but it's only a few acres and that's no fun.