Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First time buyer

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer

First time buying, so I want to inform myself a little before buying. Currently looking into buying a: 06 yamaha grizzly 660 for $2400 with 500hr. Is it a good deal? Does it have too many hrs (Florida used)? Or a 2014 Any thoughts or comments would be helpful.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a lot of hours. How many miles does it also have, I'm assuming somewhere around 5000 or so. A lot depends on how well it was maintained and taken care of. Even so, a quad with that many hours on it will need more work generally than one with less hours on it. A lot also depends on how mechanically inclined you are yourself. If you don't mind working on your own machines, then fixing things that obviously will need fixing on an older quad won't be that big of a deal. If you"re not, then you'll end up spending hundreds paying someone else to fix it for you. The 2014 you mention at the end will obvious cost a lot more but should need nothing other than fluid changes and brakes and a probably a new battery for several years. The question is, is it worth it to you to pay more for a machine that won't need much maintenance or spend less on one that will need more work?

Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@greg74
Yeah the quad has around 5k miles on it, and it did seem like a bit much to me. Since it would be my first quad, if it required work I would need to take it to a mechanic. So would you think the 2014 (Polaris sportsman 570 for $4500) would be a better option? Thanks for the respond.