Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I Need A New Quad

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:15 AM
13 Year Old Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need A New Quad

Im 13 and an experienced rider. I have grown out of my 125cc quad and need a new one. My dad says it has to be 4x4 as he/i may need to tow some things around. But i would really like if it wasn't like full utility style, i would prefer a sport styled one. It has to also be 400cc or over, and no more than $5,500 (Australian). I would only use it for trail riding in my backyard and sometimes towing.

What would best fit what i need!
Thanks

Old 10-31-2016, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Not sure how much it would cost, but I'd look for a used Can-Am Renegade 500cc. My son had one and it went everywhere the bigger utility quads did. Was a lot lighter handling. Has 4wd and you can get a trailer hitch from Can-Am for it that will handle light trailers. It doesn't come with racks but you can get both front and rear racks on the internet. They also made an 800 and 1000 version of the Renegade but I'm not sure you'd find one for that much money.
Another thought would be a used Polaris Scrambler. It would have less ground clearance than the Renegade as it has a chain driven rear axle on the older 400-500cc engine machines. Newer model with independent rear suspension have either an 850 or 1000. I just don't think you could find one for that much.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd add a Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 to that as well. Its similar to the Renegade and Scrambler. More ground clearance than the Scrambler and cheaper than the Renegade. Doesn't come with racks but a rear rack can be bought for about $150. Not as powerful or fast as either of the other 2 but still a fun quad to ride, even has the look of a sport quad as well. Tops out at around 50 mph while the Scrambler 500 will hit 60+and the Renegade 500 is a little faster than that. The Wolverine is a bit smaller and lighter than the other 2 though, making it a bit more nimble in tight trails. I have seen them locally for about $3000 U.S. in good shape.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

One thing I forgot is that I think the older Scrambler 400 and 500 didn't have a low range. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Just can't recall.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No low range on old scrambler. None on wolverine either. Wolverine is geared a little lower to compensate.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:34 PM
13 Year Old Rider
Default Where Can I Get Them

Thanks So Much For Your Sugestions. Im happy to have any of them, and also second hand for all of them. Just asking do you know anywhere that i can get one? My favourite out of the Renegade, Scrambler and Wolverine is the Can-Am, but as my dad always says, i like the one that i most expensive, so do you know where i can get one for $5,500 or atleast a few hundred around it. Thank you so much for your sugestions! And i dont really care about the high and low range either. just the ability to get up some hills about 30 degrees with a load of 150kg once in a blue moon or something. Thanks Again!

Old 11-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

We are in the US for the most part. There are shippers who would ship one overseas for you but I have no idea how to find them.

My son sold his Renegade on eBay and it was bought by a guy in the country of Turkey. He paid me and his shipper picked it up. So, I guess it's worth it to somebody.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

We have craigslist here, its basically online classified ads that anyone can post for free. I assume you have something similar in Australia. That would be a good place to look. If you have a local dealer, another good to place to look. Even if it is not a Can-Am dealer, they will still get Can-Ams occasionally as trade-ins for new quads and then sell them used. Can-ams are among the most expensive used quads though. Its hard to find a used Renegade even around here in the $5000 range. Honestly many of the big bore 4x4 utility machines offer good performance and are pretty sporty and fast while still maintaining the ability to actually do work if you want. Something like an older Brute Force 750 or Yamaha Grizzly 660 will do everything your dad wants but is still pretty fun to ride when you want to go trail riding. And costs a lot less than a used Renegade. The Grizzly 660 will do 60+mph, the Brute Force 750 will go close to 70 mph. A 650 with the swingarm rear axle like mine is pretty sporty for a 4x4 and will top out at around 65 mph. But they all have steel racks front and rear and can tow a lot, so they can be used to haul stuff and tow a trailer if you want. I think you'd be surprised how sporty some of these bigger displacement 4x4 utility quads can be. Another one to look at would be Suzuki Vinson 500. Its a little less powerful but less expensive and with the solid rear axle and lighter weight than most 4x4 quads, its a pretty fun quad to take trail riding. And you can get it in either a fully auto version or a semi-auto foot shift version as well. Basically, don't discount 4x4 utility quads as not being fun to ride.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:13 PM
13 Year Old Rider
Default 4x4 Quads

Yeah, i agree with you Greg, but one of the things that im worried about is that i'm only 40kg, so if a big 4x4 gets on 2 wheels i don't make all that much of an influence on it rolling, but i do agree, it is very hard to find a cheaper Can-Am, they would be like my dream quad, but i will take a look at some Grizzlies and Brute Forces. They are what my dad was looking at the other day. Ill also look at the Vinson, have never heard of them before!