Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on Quad Research Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRocket204
Yes, snow can be fun. I didn't go this past New Year's Day, but the previous two NYD there is an annual ride not too far from the house. Ride starts at about 9000' and can get up to 10500' but many of the trails have drifts that are too big to get through. Mind you, that is not a single drift 10' wide, it could be a 100' long drift and becomes way too much a chore. There's usually about 10+ ATVs/SxSs so no one gets stuck for too long. But, we do have to turn around many times during the ride and go down a different trail. It can be exhausting.

Although I'm a glutton for punishment and might try to get in a ride soon... getting the cabin fever already.

Yea that sounds like a tough decision, getting exhausted from to much riding...I hope to discover that someday...LOL

Old 01-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Plastic skids, if thick enough, work great. Not like the thin one Can-Am throws on the front to center of the frame. Useless. Plastic slides over obstacles better than aluminum and does not rust. Can get pretty scarred up but never seen it perforated. Some aftermarket makers make almost 1/4" thick skids out UHMW plastic (ultra high molecular weight).

Aluminum doesn't rust, dents more easily than steel, and can grab on rocks a bit being softer than the rock. It's also lighter than steel.

Steel slides over obstacles almost as well as plastic, and better than aluminum. Once scratched it can rust, but not hard to deal with.

I agree on the plastic skids being easier to glide over obstacles, just to bad the mfgrs want to cheat on the support behind the plastic skids. I guess mine work well due to the added support from my plow mount behind the plastic skids. Have a friend that "upgraded" all his to fancy aluminum skids, what a waste of money, they are all mangled after only one season, he has to remove them after a hard ride to straighten them out and repair the mounting holes.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:30 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking under my Outlander this afternoon. The piece of plastic that is bolted to the frame is maybe 1/8" thick. It will keep dirt out, but nothing more. Same thing with the CV boot guards.

I know the strength of some of these high density polyethylenes from my work in a plastics factory. We made some pretty big liquid storage tanks and they were very strong as well as light weight. You needed a ladder to look inside the tank, it was that big. Plastic skids may work perfectly well for my sedate riding style.

But I figure I'm going to need more that the stock plastic that's under there now. I'll figure it out after I get the snow plow push bars mounted.

David