Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Hello. Newbie looking to buy first ATV

Old 11-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello. Newbie looking to buy first ATV

Hello everyone
I'm brand new tooth's site and am looking for some general information on what to look for in an ATV and which ones can serve sort of a dual-purpose. I'd like a utility machine to help with work around the property (plowing, hauling logs/brush) but something that could be ridden for fun as well. My girlfriend is really the one that wants to ride it for fun. I have a DR650 for off-road riding.

Size wise, not sure what to look for. I am 48 yo, 6', 210. She is 45, 5'2, 110. It is possible that we would both be on the machine at the same time.

A couple of other factors. I have a lot of years of motorcycle experience, but not ATV experience. She has none. I'm quite mechanically inclined, so buying used does not concern me, but want to know if there are any models I should avoid.

I read a lot that buying a thumper (single-cyl) will likely serve my utility needs better than a twin., but the twins are better sport machines (which is why Ducatis rule! Sorry, I digress...).

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to buying two machines if the recommendation was to buy something bigger utility-wise for me and a smaller sport machine for her. Budget is not a major concern either, but like everybody, i don't want to spend more than necessary. I probably would not be looking at brand-new, but again, not necessarily opposed to that.

Sorry for so many questions on my first post. I'm certain there will be many more.

Frank

Old 11-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The best all around work quad on 4 wheels is the Polaris Sportsman X2. It has the now proven 570 single cylinder for plenty of torque and good power, great on board storage, a true 400 lb. load capacity in the rear and can tow 1500 lbs. I had a previous 500 cc version years ago that treated me very well. The X2 can convert between a single rider machine and a two person machine. There is a dump box in the back. You can pull up the rear seat back from the dump box bed, fold down the driver's backrest and make a second person seat in about 15 seconds.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris, Arctic Cat and Can Am all make great 2 up ATV's. You can ride 2 up on shorter ones with a rear box/seat. Much better to have the longer wheel base. I ride my 110 lb wife on the back of my 2001 AC 500, but make her get off on the steepest upgrades. BTW, I can't say a bad word about the older Arctic Cats, mine have been bulletproof.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For about $5000 you can simply buy 2 quads, a utility machine for you and a smaller, sportier machine for your gf. I'd look at something like a Yamaha Grizzly 660 for the utility machine. Big single that puts out plenty of power and is quite a capable workhorse. Another option would be a Kawasaki Brute Force which has a little more power and is in the same price range. I went from a Grizzly 660 to my Brute Force 650 and it does have noticeably more power. The Brute Force 750 steps it up even more. For the gf, I'd look at something like an older Polaris Scrambler 500. They were available in either 2wd or with 4x4. Plenty powerful and fast and quite manageable for a new rider. A nice used Grizzly 660 or Brute Force will be in the $3000-$3500 range or a little more and around $1500-$2000 for a used Scrambler.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate all the feedback. I've done a little shopping around my area and visited the two nearby (~50 miles) Polaris dealers. This is probably a dumb question, but do dealers negotiate on price, like a. At dealership, or should I expect to pay list? There is a nice 2016 titanium Sportsman 570 SP with a plow that they are asking $8600. Not sure if that is a good deal or not.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

You can talk them down if there are dealerships that sell the same brands fairly close to each other. Or you have to be willing to drive a couple hours to get a better deal elsewhere. My son got about $1000 of his Scrambler XP 1000. His buddy bought the same quad a few months later for $1200 off. A lot of times you can get the dealerships to email you their best deals right to you if you know exactly what model you want.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like full on retail for that Sportsman 570. You can buy a Can-Am Outlander 570 L for less than that and it has more power. It also comes in a 2 up version if you want. A Yamaha Kodiak base model costs even less with more power than the Sportsman 570 too. No 2 up version by Yamaha though in it or the Grizzly either. It depends on how many bells and whistles you want. Power steering will add about $800-$1000 to the price of any quad.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:27 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi johnny99 and welcome to the ATV Connection. I'm new also, and I'm in the same boat as you. You are wise to carefully consider your needs for the machine and then look for the brand that meets those needs.

I want a 2 up machine for snow plowing, light work around the house, and then trail riding in my home state of Colorado. I've learned a lot about various bands and models of ATVs here on the forums for the good folks who participate here. Reliability is a major factor in my decision, and objective data on that metric isn't available to me. But folks here are sharing their experiences with the different brands.

Right know I tend to favor the Can AM Outlander Max to meet my needs. It appears to be a well built machine. It is more expensive than some other brands. I'll continue my learning before I actively begin the buying process. There is no rush for me.

David