Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Totally lost

Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my research I found the Polaris ATV the smoothest riding. And their 2up Touring long wheelbase model has a better turning diameter than the Can Am. That was important to me in my narrow driveway while plowing snow.

Polaris has the most seamless "all wheel drive" system as they like to call it. Can Am quick engage system is pretty good too. The Polaris specs show more rack weight carrying capacity, and more trailer towing capacity than the Can Am.

The Can Am is heavier than the Polaris. That won't affect me greatly as I don't do aggressive trail riding. The extra weight does numb the handling some when riding fast.

I found the Can Am "fit and finish" better than the Polaris. I also liked the style and color better on the Can Am. And the Can Am came with more features as standard equipment than the Polaris. This helps explain some of the price advantage of the Polaris. You gotta compare apples to apples.

I went with the Can Am. I hope it proves to be a good decision as the miles start to rack up. My friends have Arctic Cat 700s and have had good luck with them.

David

Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Polaris awd system is true 4x4 when engaged. When the front differential locks in both front tires spin the same even if 1 tire is in the air.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HawkeyeRider
The Polaris awd system is true 4x4 when engaged. When the front differential locks in both front tires spin the same even if 1 tire is in the air.

Very true, but most other mfgrs are using a diff lock system which does the same thing and you have a choice of limited slip or diff lock. I do know the Polaris system works well but they do seem to have a lot of maintenance issues with their system.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True Polaris roller cage can cause problems, I haven't had an issue on either ones I've owned. I do wish they would put the aluminium roller cage in instead of the plastic one.