Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Title vs Certificate of Orgin

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Here in Ohio a new machine is shipped with a statement of origin and you used to use that to get a tile from the title bureau. However they changed it a couple years back and now the original recipient (dealer) is required by law to get a title before ownership can be transferred. The state realized they could get n extra set of fees by making each and every transaction require a title.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Plus you know dealers aren't going to do that out of the goodness of their hearts for the customers.More dealer fees also

Old 01-19-2017, 06:26 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you OPT for defining the acronym MSO. Sounds similar to a Certificate of Origin.

Geez, if we pay the fee for a title proving who the machine belongs to, why not go ahead and pay for registration with the DOT and pay for a license plate? Our county and state governments will have another revenue source. And displaying a license plate on our ATVs makes enforcement a bit easier like it does for on highway vehicles.

We title, register, and license our motorcycles; why not ATVs? I would happily display my license plate if I could ride down our roads.

David

Old 01-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well that is pretty much what Ohio does, title is needed for ownership, if not completed within a time frame then additional fees are added. If you wish to ride on any public area a license (registration) is required. But the law says you can't ride on the streets! The law does say you can ride along the edge of a road to get to an area in which you have permission to ride on....out here in the country we use the orange triangles for slow moving vehicles and we do ride around on the back country roads....doing "farm chores" of course and as long as you don't do anything stupid they look the other way. With all the fees that Ohio collects we have the least amount of riding areas of just about any other state, so you know where that fee money is going!!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 AM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an orange triangle on my Kubota compact tractor for that very purpose. It is an approved symbol for slow moving vehicle, usually ag related. I drove my Kubota to the neighbors to help push snow out of the way.

The registration and license plate helps law enforcement quickly identify the vehicle owner in normal situations.

Allowing ATVs to ride the secondary roads posted 45 mph or less like a "dirt / street" motorcycle can would greatly enhance the enjoyment of ATVs in Ohio.

I hope the good folks here have answered the original poster's question about the necessary title and the certificate of origin.

David

Old 01-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand why every state doesn't require titles for atvs/utvs by now. I'll gladly pay the extra fee to make 100% sure it isn't stolen. Without a title, there is no proof of ownership, plain and simple. The certificate of origin allows you to get a title I suppose though, that is acceptable. The original bill of sale would as well. Any of those would prove ownership. That's what its all about, not unknowingly buying a stolen machine. I believe the % of stolen machines is very low but I believe its best not to take any risks. Deals too good to be true are usually a big red flag. If a thief is trying to unload stolen merchandise, the fastest way is to sell it cheap.