Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a quad, food for thought.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a quad, food for thought.....

Over the past 20 years or so, one thread that keeps popping up is the subject of buying a quad. Here are a few pointers for you to consider before asking the same question over and over.

1) What is your riding experience and skill level? Certainly it is important that you do a little soul searching on this, and this applies to both yourself or perhaps a child or spouse you are buying for. And trust me it matters. You would not put a 10 year old or a beginner on a race machine like a YZF450 no matter how loudly they whine. Be smart, and if it applies, BE THE PARENT.

2) What kind of riding do you expect to be doing? Trail riding, high speed track riding, Mud playing etc. Obviously there is some bleed over, but the reason I ask is I want to focus on the type of machine, because where you ride can greatly influence the TYPE of machine you NEED. Trail riding, generally includes hills, some water, some log crossings etc. and the more appropriate machine would be a utility machine versus a sport model. Sport machines are more at home on well groomed tracks and usually involve higher speeds. Not always compatible with close in trees, steep hills, water crossings etc. They will work in most cases, but are not to the degree that a utility machine can perform in the woods.

3) Weight. Let's think about how much machine do you think you can muscle around. Eventually, all machines needs to be lifted, turned etc. A couple things to consider here. Power steering, especially on heavier utility machines is becoming more important these days. With quads getting bigger and heavier, it is a must. Especially if you are riding for long periods. Your body will thank you. Also important is whether the machine has reverse. Most quads do these days, but older machines may not. And that means you have to have the muscle or the space to turn it around. Something not always possible on tight trails. Utility machines weigh considerably more than sport machines.

4) I always instruct parents to evaluate the mental state of their children. Because the average child's attention span is not always very long. And riding a quad takes focused attention at all times. Rides should be short for children so they can remain focused. When that focus wanes, then they need to stop until their focus is back. Also a short plug for training, and following commands. If a child will not follow your instructions, take the machine away from them until they are disciplined enough to listen and learn, and obey. Whether you are there or not. Inevitably they will act out, and chances they will get hurt go up exponentially.

I also want to remind parents that quads are not baby sitters. You have a LEGAL responsibility to be present while your child rides until they reach a certain age. usually that is at least 12, in some states 16. Be the parent and do not shirk your responsibilities.

5) Next subject. Safety equipment. Minimum requirements are Helmets, eye protection, shoes over the ankle., recommend long pants and long sleeved shirts. I also highly recommend a chest/back protector. gloves. If you cannot afford a helmet for the kids, you have no reason to buy them a quad. Period. I know that is tough sounding, but I have seen too many kids get hurt or die and the parents blame the quads. When they don't enforce any of the above.

6 ) Notice I have not discussed size. All I can say is look at what you want to do, Work machines require larger displacements. Certainly this is an area where people like to be macho and get the biggest machine money can buy and use it as an extension of their manly hood. The reality is you can have as much fun on a mid range machine and you rarely get a machine to top speed anywhere other than a race track. Plus mid range machines are way more affordable.

I tend to direct people to major brands, versus cheap Chinese junk sold at gas stations, parts store etc. Getting a machine repaired, and parts availability will be easier with the major brands. You really need to establish a trust relationship with your local dealer. Just remember they have a business to run, and they cannot always compete on price for everything.

Lastly, welcome to the sport. Be good Ambassadors for our sport. Don't be a pain in the rear. Don't break the law and be safe. Follow those basic rules, and you should have an enjoyable sport that builds many good memories.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some sport ATVs are quite wide but some are narrower than the average utility ATV. In those cases a sport quad can zip through the trails faster than anyone on a utility can keep up with. As long as there aren't any mud holes or trees down sport quads work well on trails, but they make it hard to carry a cooler full of cold beverages or anything else you want to carry for a long day's ride.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that is true Frank, but the whole reason for the thread is to get people to think before they throw money on the table. Especially NEWBS who are not versed in what an ATV or Riding one is all about. All they know is their kid wants one and they are totally unprepared when they show up at a dealer, or they are told by so-called experts how to do it. The problem with experts is they generally tend to push one brand, type or size and don't take into consideration that what may be a good choice for them, may not be for a beginner. How many answers on this list start our with "You need an XXX machine". It is absolutely a dis-service to people looking for help by directing them without asking any of the questions I posed in the original thread. As it is, it is purely food for thought, and hopefully, will cause people to do a little research, and a little soul searching. These things can be dangerous. They need to know that.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 PM
Moto Psycho

I agree that people really need to look into it before buying something. I think a lot of people tend to want the "biggest and baddest" when the mid-bore machines are usually a much better choice. Big-bad not only costs more but generally gets worse gas mileage and weighs more. Plus like you say you rarely get a chance to go top speed anyway. I hope any parents who are thinking about getting their kids an ATV read your first post and do some serious thinking about what they're getting into.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Frank. Glad we see eye to eye. That is why I wrote it.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
5) Next subject. Safety equipment. Minimum requirements are Helmets, eye protection, shoes over the ankle., recommend long pants and long sleeved shirts. I also highly recommend a chest/back protector. gloves. If you cannot afford a helmet for the kids, you have no reason to buy them a quad. Period. I know that is tough sounding, but I have seen too many kids get hurt or die and the parents blame the quads. When they don't enforce any of the above.
There is no "tough sounding" about that and you should not be "apologetic" at all for having said that. I'm sure you already know this, but should be said that in some states it is required by law for children to wear helmets when operating an OHV... should really be all states.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Country Rider

Dragginbutt, glad you wrote this. Its good for everyone to know what to look for in a quad instead of a bunch of people asking the same 20 questions. I would appreciate it if you would comment on my post and few posts down, thanks

Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi dragginbutt: Thanks kindly for composing this. I think it deserves to become a "sticky" in the Buying an ATV forum. Many folks, me included, jump into this ATV hobby ignorant of the factors in machine selection. New or used, utility or sport, side by side or not, is 500cc enough, Polaris or Yamaha and on and on.

The good folks here on ATV Connection were very helpful to me in my ATV selection. But you are right, I'm sure the good folks get tired of the same newbie questions. Why not one "sticky" that would get a lot of folks started off on the right foot and better prepared to talk to a seller.

David

Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Moto Psycho

One thing that helped me make up my mind what to buy was how far away the dealers were. I knew I'd have to go back for service or something eventually. There was a Polaris and Yamaha dealer 10 miles away and not many other dealers around. I used to go there so often, mostly just to see what's new, that all the salesmen and mechanics knew me by name. I was a repeat customer until they went out of business.

I also recommend people talk to everyone they know who has ATVs to get an idea what you need for the type of riding you want to do and the conditions you'll encounter. In the mid-'90s one of my brothers had an ATV and I didn't really know anyone else who had one so I talked to him. I asked him what he would get if he was buying a new one. I took his advice and was happy with what I got.