ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Buying first ATV and need suggestions (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/372592-buying-first-atv-need-suggestions.html)

Tylerb1243 06-28-2017 01:47 AM

Buying first ATV and need suggestions

I've been riding my buddys machine for over a year now and I'm ready to buy my own. He's got 2 polaris RZR 570s. I'm interested in getting an atv. Being my first atv I'm looking for something sturdy and easy to maintain that can also keep up on rough and varying terrain like his polaris. My knowledge is very limited and I'm currently looking at honda recon 250s and yamaha bruin 250s. These may be good or bad for my liking, I'm not sure at all. I know I'd prefer something automatic with AWD that can take a bit of a beating. I'm 230 lbs and I'd like to keep the price around $5,000 but I can be flexible with that. If anyone can suggest me some quality atv models that fit my needs that will be greatly appreciated. I'm mainly going to be riding trails and rocky landscapes. I'll do further research based on suggestions, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door on the purchasing process. Thanks in advance

LT80 06-28-2017 08:09 AM

For 5k you should have many options, even new.
Might I recommend a Kymco. The Mongoose is a 2wd auto (cvt) and fun as heck. Kymco also makes 4x4's. You can see them at Kymco and Arctic cat dealers.
Kymco's are very reliable.
Yam 450 Wolverine is a spunky 4x4.
Like I said, Many options when you can spend that much.
Good luck with your decision.

hydrex 06-28-2017 10:10 AM

Might look at the Polaris 450HO. It has a detuned 570 motor, should last a long time. I also like the Kymco's as well as the Arctic Cats. AC 500's and smaller use the Kymco motors, should compare both as far as price/value. AC, has a new model the VLX 700 that has a big 700 cc single for $5,995, though I've seen discounted for $5,495. I think you can find something very nice for $5k range. Remember, you said 230 lbs, so that's why I'd suggest full size bikes. You should ride the Polaris first, they have awesome ride.

MooseHenden 06-28-2017 12:39 PM

Neither the Recon or Bruin are AWD or 4wd. They both are rear drive machines. Bruin is semi-automatic only. You shift with your foot but don't have to pull in a clutch lever. Recon has an option for an automatic.

As others have said, look around more. Polaris offers the Sportsman 450 for $5999. You may be able to find a dealer that would go your price out the door. Used 4x4's can be found in your price range. 500 cc and under are in there.

user493 06-28-2017 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hydrex (Post 3366273)
Might look at the Polaris 450HO. It has a detuned 570 motor, should last a long time. I also like the Kymco's as well as the Arctic Cats. AC 500's and smaller use the Kymco motors, should compare both as far as price/value. AC, has a new model the VLX 700 that has a big 700 cc single for $5,995, though I've seen discounted for $5,495. I think you can find something very nice for $5k range. Remember, you said 230 lbs, so that's why I'd suggest full size bikes. You should ride the Polaris first, they have awesome ride.

The Sportsman 450 H.O. actually has a 500 CC engine. I think they started using it last year. The list price is $5,999. The mid-size 2018 Kodiak 450 which is really only 421 CCs is the same price and available next month. It has a compact chassis and compact body but the Polaris is a full size chassis for full size adults. The Sportsman is 33 horsepower and I don't see the Kodiak's power listed.

WilliamBos 06-28-2017 04:22 PM

I will save you a ton of nickel and diming - Buy a Honda. You will be so happy. Thats my next move.

Grizzlyrider1 07-02-2017 11:26 PM

[QUOTE=Tylerb1243;3366239]I've been riding my buddys machine for over a year now and I'm ready to buy my own. He's got 2 polaris RZR 570s. I'm interested in getting an atv. Being my first atv I'm looking for something sturdy and easy to maintain that can also keep up on rough and varying terrain like his polaris. My knowledge is very limited and I'm currently looking at honda recon 250s and yamaha bruin 250s. These may be good or bad for my liking, I'm not sure at all. I know I'd prefer something automatic with AWD that can take a bit of a beating. I'm 230 lbs and I'd like to keep the price around $5,000 but I can be flexible with that. Ifhttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...2df113b22b.jpgThis is my 550 grizzly 2012 if you want one that you dont have to worry if it will make it threw the mud or up a mountain theres none better i have had to be towed yet a set of mud rebals will keep it movin or mudzillas but there priceie a towing poweris unbeleivable the new 900 looks like its definatly a beast 550 is enough for where i live iv pulled a few honda out from the mud lol
anyone can suggest me some quality atv models that fit my needs that will be greatly appreciated. I'm mainly going to be riding trails and rocky landscapes. I'll do further research based on suggestions, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door on the purchasing process. Thanks in advance[/​​​​​​​Go yamaha grizzly. You wont be disappointed. Theres 550 700 900 and others but im really happy with my 550 fi eps hunter model its never let me down

Grizzlyrider1 07-02-2017 11:29 PM

oh forgot about differential lock its a must have what ever you chose majes a huge difference between 4 wheel drive you will be suprized youll see

user493 07-22-2017 01:33 AM

[QUOTE=Grizzlyrider1;3366604]

Originally Posted by Tylerb1243 (Post 3366239)
I've been riding my buddys machine for over a year now and I'm ready to buy my own. He's got 2 polaris RZR 570s. I'm interested in getting an atv. Being my first atv I'm looking for something sturdy and easy to maintain that can also keep up on rough and varying terrain like his polaris. My knowledge is very limited and I'm currently looking at honda recon 250s and yamaha bruin 250s. These may be good or bad for my liking, I'm not sure at all. I know I'd prefer something automatic with AWD that can take a bit of a beating. I'm 230 lbs and I'd like to keep the price around $5,000 but I can be flexible with that. Ifhttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...2df113b22b.jpgThis is my 550 grizzly 2012 if you want one that you dont have to worry if it will make it threw the mud or up a mountain theres none better i have had to be towed yet a set of mud rebals will keep it movin or mudzillas but there priceie a towing poweris unbeleivable the new 900 looks like its definatly a beast 550 is enough for where i live iv pulled a few honda out from the mud lol
anyone can suggest me some quality atv models that fit my needs that will be greatly appreciated. I'm mainly going to be riding trails and rocky landscapes. I'll do further research based on suggestions, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door on the purchasing process. Thanks in advance[/​​​​​​​Go yamaha grizzly. You wont be disappointed. Theres 550 700 900 and others but im really happy with my 550 fi eps hunter model its never let me down

Where have you seen a 900 Grizzly? They don't have one listed for 2018 or any earlier model year. The biggest one is a 700 (708cc).

RedRocket204 07-22-2017 07:59 AM

There is no Yamaha 900 ATV/SxS. You are correct jumbo.

But yeah, Yamaha is every bit as reliable as Honda and has a much better feature set than Honda.