Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Typhoon

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As it's been pointed out parts for Chinese ATVs may be hard, or even impossible, to find. I was thinking about that last night and also the lack of dealer support. Can you buy a Chinese ATV from a reputable dealer who will fix it when it breaks? Do they have spare parts on hand and support from the factory? Is there any warranty at all? All the major brands have warranties even if some of them aren't long enough.

Old 08-17-2017, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Seymour
A review of Kymco web pages shows a trend toward side by sides. These are cool but pricy, as are all side by sides. These appeal to new OHV users as well as aging boomers. Still, this has minimal impact on new or young riders who are traditional buyers of cheaper, small displacement atvs or dirt bikes.

Kymco offers their 90cc atv, with nice features, attractive plastics and very mild performance for about $2500. Unfortunately this isn't far enough from used Honda prices to sway many buyers, and the lack of aftermarket support or potential leaves many buyers who would have purchased high quality/low cost bikes from Asia in the dark.

Before you say high quality and low cost is impossible from China, look at Ryobis tool offerings. While no where near the quality of my Bosch or DeWalt tools, Ryobi is innovative, affordable, reliable, durable and precise enough to perform on professional worksites.

Do you want to spend 2500 for a used machine with no warranty or for the same 2500 get a year free warranty and for another 100 you can add another year, that is what Kymco offers. Yes the side x side market is booming, I moved into one a year back and have no regrets, far more usefull than my previous atv's ever were. Check your Ryobi closely you will find it is not made in mainland china, only parts of it are, much is from Tiawan and other asia countries then assembled in the usa.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
I'd just get a used Honda or Yamaha. Much more reliable even used compared to a new Typhoon or MooMoo or whatever name the Chinese quad has. Dealers everywhere have Honda and other name brand parts available and will have for many years to come. The Chinese stuff is cheaper yes but if it constantly needs service, to me it isn't worth the hassle.
Probably hard to beat a bike from Japan. It would be nice to know there are reasonable alternatives for consumers to choose from. In general my experience with the XR, KX and Yam. Warrior were hassle free, with regular maintenance .

Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Do you want to spend 2500 for a used machine with no warranty or for the same 2500 get a year free warranty and for another 100 you can add another year, that is what Kymco offers. Yes the side x side market is booming, I moved into one a year back and have no regrets, far more usefull than my previous atv's ever were. Check your Ryobi closely you will find it is not made in mainland china, only parts of it are, much is from Tiawan and other asia countries then assembled in the usa.
Good point on Ryobi. This is much of Dewalts strategy as well. I'd love to have this option with bikes. Tomarrow if I could buy a Chinese frame, engine, suspension etc and self assemble or contract out assembly, I'd love that approach. Unfortunately it appears Chinese parts availability is baaaad.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kymco isn't the same as the Chinese stuff either. Their quality is on par with Honda and Yamaha. They just don't have nearly as many dealers nationwide so many people go with what their local dealer sells. That's why their popularity isn't quite on the same level. The resale value of the chinese quads like tao tao, roketa, etc is almost nothing if you do manage to get a decent one and want to resell it later. They're pretty much throwaway machines.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Check your Ryobi closely you will find it is not made in mainland china, only parts of it are, much is from Tiawan and other asia countries then assembled in the usa.
I have a Ryobi drywall screw gun and 10" miter saw that were both made in Japan. Both of these are over 30+ years old and I wouldn't trade either for a new one,even though I don't use either one now days.Guess it'll pass them on down to my son..

Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Love it. Ya I wanna hate on Ryobi but I beat their tools hard and they generally take a whooping. Their best tool? 18v Nail Guns. Cheap and work every time!
Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I have a Ryobi drywall screw gun and 10" miter saw that were both made in Japan. Both of these are over 30+ years old and I wouldn't trade either for a new one,even though I don't use either one now days.Guess it'll pass them on down to my son..

Old 08-24-2017, 07:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see that parts for some Chinese brands are difficult to get but Taotao parts seem to be readily available through their web site.

Service on any Chinese bike is DIY so you need some mechanical knowledge to keep it running well in the long run.

The Taotao 250 quads use the Honda CG clone engine which is a simple motorcycle engine produced by the millions. It is the choice engine for long distance travel motorcycles in South America, Asia, Africa, and has a long history of reliability.