Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

2005 artic cat 650 h1

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 artic cat 650 h1

Hey Yall, I'm looking to buy my kiddos an atv and came across a neighbor (don't know him) who has this artic cat 650. It only has 15 hours on it and looks brand new. He's asking $4500. Seems little high but with the minimal miles may be a fair price. My concern is that it's been sitting in garage with minimal usage for long periods of time? Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Drive it, if it runs good, no worries. If it runs like crap, good excuse to dicker price down. Then carburetor cleaning would be in order. You said kiddos? This is a powerful, fast machine, so, as long as you know. I have a 700 Cat, it's pretty quick!

Old 11-15-2017, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hydrex
Drive it, if it runs good, no worries. If it runs like crap, good excuse to dicker price down. Then carburetor cleaning would be in order. You said kiddos? This is a powerful, fast machine, so, as long as you know. I have a 700 Cat, it's pretty quick!
Kids are 17&15...but point noted. Thanks for feedback!

Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that stock, the top speed is between 65 and 70 mph, so make em wear a helmet Was thinking, when I was 15 , I rode a bicycle, haha.

Old 11-16-2017, 06:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its still a 12 year old atv. Granted its not been used much but it was probably a $6000 atv brand new. $3500 would be a more fair price to pay for it. The older 650's were actually faster as they had the 650 Kawasaki v-twin like my Brute Force 650 has. Arctic Cat eventually started their own 650 single that didn't have quite as much get up and go. Still a good engine but not as much power. Only one carb to deal with though as the 650 twin has dual carbs. I'm having issues with mine now. I may be getting rid of my 650 soon as it appears the carbs are now junk and it just won't start and run properly. Had my local mechanic work on it a couple weeks ago. It ran fine that day but let it sit and it just won't start anymore. With replacement carbs costing over $1000, I may just cut my losses and get something newer with efi. I'm tired of dealing with carbs. I'd rather have something that starts right away without having to pull a choke and and wait several minutes so it doesn't die. I figured eventually the dual carbs would be an issue but I thought it would be later instead of sooner.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Dual carbs is not a plus. On the other hand, carburetors can work very well. When I sold my 9,000 mile AC 500 it ran better than my new EFI AC 700. -20F started on the first revolution. 1 carburetor, though.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah when everything works they're great. Well great at sucking extra fuel but good for making power. Its just that when they need work, it costs twice as much as it would if it had a single carb. Even more than that I think, the carb for a Grizzly 660 that I previously owned cost about $400. Each carb for the Brute cost over $500. There don't seem to be any cheaper aftermarket options either as I looked and couldn't find any. Its probably beyond being able to buy a rebuild kit as well. I may mess with it a little more this week just to see if i can get it started. If it runs and starts I can get more for it and I don't have to push it onto the trailer lol. My local dealer has a pretty nice 2011 Brute Force 750 efi for sale for $3999 http://www.atvsandmor.com/default.as...OwnedInventory. They originally were asking $4999 but have knocked $1000 off. Might take even a little less since I would be paying cash. Tires look pretty worn out but if they would knock a little off, I'd buy a brand new set from them and have them mount them right there. Their prices are basically the same as internet tire prices. Sometimes they have takeoffs that you can get cheap too. If they would give me $1000-$1500 for my non running 650 I'd be ok with that. Its probably a $2500 trade in value in good running condition and I'd probably spend more than the difference getting it in good running order. It might be nice to have a little more power and get back the added benefit of irs with better ride and ground clearance.