Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First quad purchase and since I'm a women. I'm getting the run around

Old 11-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post First quad purchase and since I'm a women. I'm getting the run around

I'm looking to purchase a quad. I have a mining claim and normally use my Jeep to get in, it is a 2 mile 4x4 trail to get there. But I'm looking to purchase a new car and would rather not take the new vehicle in. I see quads and dirt bikes often on the trail and thought that a quad would be a good replacement for my Jeep.

So now my question: Suggestions on what would be a good purchase?
  • I prefer no more than $3000-4000
  • I' 5'9 and 180 lbs
  • The terrain is pretty rough and rocky, a few steep mountains
  • Gets pretty muddy when it rains
I've been to a few dealerships but it feels like they are trying to get me to purchase way beyond what I need. Like 700cc, just huge quads. And pushing more sport, when I specificlly said utility because I want to carry a cooler and sleeping bag. Which they said I can add a rack to pretty much anything. But I rather have one on already for that price and defiantly a winch. I've tried to do my research and like the Suzuki king quad and a few others. But the dealership says they arent the best. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm doing this solo!

Old 11-18-2017, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Stick to your guns woman, don't let them push you around !! Do lots of online research, go to the various websites for each manufacturer and read all you can. Look for a used machine owned by an older adult that has receipts for any maintenance and repairs. Pickins will be slim but they are out there, just gonna take some time and searching. Don't be afraid to drive a bit, probably wont find anything in your backyard so be prepared to hit the road. I would highly recommend 4 wd and a machine the has a switch to go from 2wd to 4wd and also a diff lock. You should go at least with a 400cc machine to carry the extra weight of your supplies. Unless you need to go fast you don't need a 700 machine and if your using low in rough terrain engine size will not have a big effect. I used a 300 for 16 yrs plowing a 300 ft stone drive plus used it as a tractor and to pull a trailer, worked geat, never an issue. Like any piece of equipment finding one that has been well maintained is the trick. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should definitely ignore any dealer trying to sell you a sport quad when you're looking for a 4x4 utility. Kymco 450i has some good advice. I would add that if you're riding at a very high elevation you may want something with a little more power. I'm so heavy it's like riding double and 500cc is enough for me. I'll probably never buy one of the 700-1000cc quads.

Old 11-19-2017, 01:11 AM
Chasing trails, Dodging dust devils.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let the dealer tell you what you want. It sounds like you have done some great research already. The Suzuki king quad is a top shelf atv, the dealer is full of crap if he tells you different. (That's comming from a loyal polaris owner) try to stay in the 400- 500 CC. range on engine size. All the brand name utility ATVs on the market will do the kind of things you want and then some. So be firm, stand your ground and test ride several before you buy. Good luck and please keep us informed on your purchase.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the 450 Kymco and the Arctic Cat 500 almost the same, Never heard anyone say they were underpowered. When you get in the nasty stuff, you use Low range any way. Rule #1 = Take anything any salesman/saleswoman says with a grain of salt. The other machine that might come close in price, Polaris 450HO. You should look at used ATV's too. You can certainly find something nice in your budget, used. Suzuki King Quad is top notch, btw.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Another quad to look at would be a used Polaris Sportsman X2. It's very versatile and a great work machine. Rear dump box will hold an honest 400 lbs. of weight. The dump box can also be converted to a passenger seat in about 15 seconds. Has hi and low range 4wd and a longer wheelbase for those steep hills. I had one previously and it was a great quad. Used would have a 500, 550, 570, 700, 800, or 850 cc engine. Mine was a 500 and it went anywhere any other quad could go in the hills, water holes, mud holes, and snow in New England. This is an example on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Polari...tZzSax&vxp=mtr

Old 11-19-2017, 05:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask yourself how often you want to be working on your ATV.

If the answer is "never", then I would suggest either a Honda Rancher 4x4 or a Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4. Both machines are smaller in size than the big bore full size ATVs are, and are easier to handle. You can get them with power steering, which is also nice, but the price wont be $3-$4K.

If the answer is "I'm okay with working on my ATV", then go ahead and add Arctic Cat, Polaris, and some of the better Chinese brands to your list, and the price will be lower, particularly for used ATVs.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't lump Polaris and Arctic Cat with the Chinese makers. Never had an Arctic Cat but had very good reliability with the 4 Polaris machines we've had/have.

It's just going to be tough to find a good quad for that money.

Original poster mentioned steep hills. 2-up machines are ideal because of the longer wheelbase. Another thing you want if dealing with mud is a full locker. Every maker but Honda had a machine with full locker available in the front axle. I've seen about a dozen situations where it has made just enough difference to get through or over, mud, snow, and obstacles. Honda finally started offering full locking differentials in the last couple of years. So, it will be harder to find a used Honda that will have the capabilities of the other machines mentioned. Just my own experiences and .02 worth.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was once in a situation on a Sportsman 500 where my right rear wheel dropped into a hole when I backed up and wasn't touching the ground. The front end popped up in the air so the left front tire was off the ground too. It was teeter-tottering with only the right front and left rear wheels making contact. I put it in 4x4 low range, stood next to it and blipped the throttle until it leveled off, then drove away. Any 4x4 with a limited-slip differential would have left me stranded there if I couldn't winch it out. Except for the ADC that I don't even use on my current ATV, I've been very happy with Polaris ATVs for the last 20 years. I certainly wouldn't consider Chinese ATVs to be anywhere near the same class as them. And I've heard more complaints about Honda than Arctic Cat, so I wouldn't put them in the same class as Chinese quads either.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As most others will recommend do stay away from Chinese. A fast rising company is Kymco, they are made in Tiawan using American engineering and design. Been around since the early 90's and have earned a great reputation. In the past few years the Kymco brand has had the fewest complaints per 100 machines produced from all the major manufacturers!!
They are also the largest manufacturer of personal motorized machines in the world. They build drive trains for honda, kawasaki, suzuki, artic cat and many others. They originated back in the 70's as a supplier for Honda drivetrains, but had a falling out when they wanted to produce there own line of offroad vehicles so Honda parted ways. But by then kymco has already established a name for them selves and by the early 90's moved there products into the USA market. Honda makes good reliable equipment except for there electric shift machines....stay away from them!! The electronic shift machines can be extremely expensive to fix and if you search the forums that is the biggest complaint and they do not resale well in my area. If they do not have the electric shift then they are a good machine. Most all the manufacturers nowadays make good stuff with only a few specific problems. You can get a bad one in any brand but for the most part look for a well maintained machine with receipts from the owner. Also look for older owners as they are less likely to abuse their equipment. Do a search in the repair forums to see which machines have the most issues and need the most repairs.

Search this Thread