Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to expect on MSRP vs out the door price

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read horror stories about both Can-Am and Polaris. I'm bout to the point where I think they whole idea is not worth the hassle. From the comlaints I've seen neither company will cover anything under warramty. I'll do more research but I don't need another money pit like my last Polaris.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Many times CV are,covered as long as boot is good however U joints are not covered as they tend to wear more often. I know Polaris used to use U joints alot in there machines in the past and always needed repair long before CV joints that most other mfgrs use. Something I would look at seriously..hopefully they have upgraded to all CV joints now.
I did a quick look at one place selling U-joints for Polaris axles, and they had them listed up to 2002 for Sportsman 500s. I didn't check all the other models, but if that's representative of the others, then they must have quit using them a long time ago.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Shootr
I've read horror stories about both Can-Am and Polaris. I'm bout to the point where I think they whole idea is not worth the hassle. From the comlaints I've seen neither company will cover anything under warramty. I'll do more research but I don't need another money pit like my last Polaris.
I've read a lot about people bending the frames on Can-Ams but they may have all been before the G2 frame came out. I never heard of any other ATVs with that problem.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think most of the atv companies are reluctant to pay on warranty claims. They always want to blame the owner. Its a lot different than having a warranty on an automobile. The automobile is generally only used on the road. Also it is generally never driven to its limit at any time. Atvs are designed to driven off-road. Rough conditions, mud, snow, sand. Many times full throttle is needed to get through or over an obstacle. Stuff gets jarred around on rough trails so fasteners can work loose without you even knowing it. Hoses can get damaged or come loose. Its assumed that everything is put together perfectly upon initial assembly. It has been proven over and over on here that is not always the case. Even when well maintained, atvs have a rough life compared to an on highway vehicle.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

So basically you're saying warranties are useless from ATV companies. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in buying one. They void your warranty if you take it off the road??? They aren't made to be driven on roads at all. I wonder if you get grass stain on the tires driving around the yard if that would void the warranty. To be honest this has about convinced me to stay out of the new ATV business. All I really need is something to do the work around the home place that needs done. I can buy an old ATV for $1000 and get that much done. I know where I can buy one now. Polaris sold me a lemon before and I wont give thm a chance to do it again with no real warranty. It's not like I didn't maintain the thing. I did. Now I hear if you get mud on one they void your warranty?? Must be nice to sell extended warranties you know will never pay for anything. I'd call that fraud.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Depending on how your going to use this machine a good used one might be a better option. Do your reasearch on new or used. I have bought used but from older owners and those with all there reciepts and records. When i did new i lioked for machines that had fewest complaints per 100 machines produced. I never go for extended warranties, usually not worth it!

Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

I don't usually go for extended warranties either but my previous Polaris made me think one would be a good idea. But if they won't fix anything under the warranty then it's useless and to be frank, a fraud. They sell an off road machine then void your warranty for taking it off road. Brilliant if you're trying to take people's money.

I looked for a Kymco dealer. When I put in my zip code in the dealer search box I didn't get any results at all. So apparently no one anywhere near me sells them. And given what I've read about warranty support from Polaris and Can-Am I think I will just buy another used ATV for work. I'll spend my money fixing up my truck for better off road use. I love ATV's but I don't like the idea of worrying about endless repairs like with my Polaris I owned. Not if I have to pay for the repairs anyway. I know how reliable some ATV's can be. But none of those makers have a 2 up in their lineup.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 PM
Moto Psycho

I doubt that any company on the planet has ever voided an ATV warranty for taking it off road where it has to be ridden. And I don't know why anyone would think that.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

They didn't void the warranty. They just didn't fix the problems because of things like "mud and water" on the ATV. I read people's comments saying this elsewhere. There were a lot of them. I seriously doubt they were all lying. And that included both Polaris and Can Am. I can find the link again if you like.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Shootr
They didn't void the warranty. They just didn't fix the problems because of things like "mud and water" on the ATV. I read people's comments saying this elsewhere. There were a lot of them. I seriously doubt they were all lying. And that included both Polaris and Can Am. I can find the link again if you like.
I've heard of them not covering mud and water sucked into the engine, but not for muddy fenders. A lot of dealers won't even look at it until you wash it, or pay them to, so they can see what's going on, but that's just common sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to expect on MSRP vs out the door price