Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to expect on MSRP vs out the door price

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard of Abernathy as well. I have their website saved on my computer as one of my favorites. I'm much closer to there than you are, still about a 3 hour drive. I have checked lately and their deals aren't enough better than the local dealers near me to justify the drive. It seems most around here just go with utvs instead of 2 up atvs. A Rzr 570 doesn't cost much more than a 2 up Sportsman 570.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked the Abernathy web site and it looked like I would only save about $400 going down there. No way that's worth the effort. I did find the exact model I want in stock at a local dealership. The problem is my money won't be here for a while yet.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Shootr.... if your considering the extended warranty, read the contract carefully as they are not all inclusive, meaning that they don't cover everything. Usually they are for engine and tranny minus the belt, seals and gaskets. They normally do not cover brakes, belts and hoses. I know of a few that bought the extended warranties but found they covered anything that never breaks!! The typical stuff that needs repaired was not covered.
Many times you are required a copayment as well....so just read all the fine print so you don't wind up disappointed. Good luck on your venture!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:17 PM
Trailblazer

The expensive parts are almost enough to get protection. But I'd be concerned about CV joints and things like that because that's what I had so much trouble with before.

Af far as going over the warranty goes I'll have my daughter check it out. She's the finance manager at a large Harley dealership just a few blocks from the Polaris dealer that has the ATV I want. She'll know what to look for and whether it's a good deal. She will probably know other options besides a Polaris extended warranty too. Her main job is selling extended warranties on bikes. She knows pretty much all there is to know about such things.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AFAIK wear items like brakes aren't covered by warranty on ATVs or cars or anything else. Everyone knows they will wear out and need to be replaced. Belts wearing out aren't covered either, but belt breakage can be covered if it isn't caused by operator error.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Warranties basically cover manufacturers defects. If something does break, its sometimes hard to prove it wasn't your fault. Many times the manufacturer will say you abused the machine even when you didn't.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM
Trailblazer

CV joints should stand up unless the boot gets ripped or something. I really don't plan on pushing this machine hard. I will be using it for work stuff more than anything.

I know no warranty covers wear items like brakes and tires etc.. But I would hope they would cover CV joints. Again my daughter will know very well what they cover and what they actually pay for when something breaks. She's about as much of an expert as you're likely to find.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Shootr
CV joints should stand up unless the boot gets ripped or something. I really don't plan on pushing this machine hard. I will be using it for work stuff more than anything.

I know no warranty covers wear items like brakes and tires etc.. But I would hope they would cover CV joints. Again my daughter will know very well what they cover and what they actually pay for when something breaks. She's about as much of an expert as you're likely to find.
Many times CV are,covered as long as boot is good however U joints are not covered as they tend to wear more often. I know Polaris used to use U joints alot in there machines in the past and always needed repair long before CV joints that most other mfgrs use. Something I would look at seriously..hopefully they have upgraded to all CV joints now.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I had problems with CV joints even when the boot didn't have any holes in it. I didn't have many problems with u-joints actually. It didn't have many. I had one go out and of course that meant buying the whole shaft. I had the CV joints go out multiple times. The one time I had a u-joint go out it was to the rear of course. I had to drive home with front wheel drive. I was surprised it worked that way but it did. Just barely though. It had trouble with even small mud holes.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Dont know if your into the Can-Am's or not??? But they have some rebates also. I myself wouldnt own a poo product. To much personal experience with them. And after working there..... Ummmm yeah I will just keep it at that. I myself have owned 3 Can-Am's no issues at all with any of them. Current one is a 2016 renegade 570. ANd also if you shop around you can find better deals. Good luck

Quick Reply: What to expect on MSRP vs out the door price