Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to expect on MSRP vs out the door price

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/spor...laris_atv.html

Timothy of Sussex, NJ Verified Reviewer Verified Buyer

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018As of Tuesday January 30th my 2017 is in the shop for the 4th time since buying it in November of 16. I am having the third rear axle fixed. As of day one Polaris didn't route and make the brake line long enough from handlebar to junction. So after 2 rides the brake line cut through the plastic coating. Polaris fix for this was to cut my plastics on a brand new 12k plus machine. Then right at my 25 hour first service time my left rear axle broke. Upon inspection with my 25 hour service they found both rear wheel bearings to be bad. Oh let me say as well it took me about 8 months to reach the 25 hours. So not like I was using it all the time. And I also bought the 5 year extended warranty. But Polaris tried fighting to have the bearings covered. As usual saying it must have been in a lot of mud and water. Sure I go through some minor streams and mud if it's been raining. But they show it doing all that on their website by the way.
Tim of Channahon, IL Verified Reviewer

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017Don't buy anything from Polaris! I made the mistake of buying a 2015 Ace 570 brand new. At 90 miles the drive belt came apart. They said warranty won't cover it because I abused the machine. At 200 miles and 40 hours the engine started smoking and knocking. I was told the engine ingested something. Could need a new motor for $5500 and the dealer wanted $600 upfront to even look at it! The ACE is extremely poorly designed. The intakes are above the rear wheels. Stay away from water, dust, sand, dirt, mud and stay only on paved roads and the Ace will be fine. If you do to any Polaris what they show in their advertisements they will tell you it's abuse. Stay away from Polaris!
Mike of Gresham, OR Verified Reviewer

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017My brand new 2016 Polaris Sportsman 450 started having issues at only 11 miles. Multiple engine codes flashing and running very rough. I took it to the dealer, and after several days they called me to let me know it was ready to go. However, when I got there, I was told that the problem was recurring, and they'd need more time to figure it out. A couple of days later I was told that the problem was an electrical arc, which was probably a factory defect, but the warranty wouldn't cover it because the ATV was wet and dirty. This repair cost me roughly $1000.00. It's now got about 50 miles on it and it's broken down again.
There are quite a few more like these. I got these from the first 10 reviews I looked at.

It's true that usually only people with problems go to these sites to complain. But there were 291 Polaris reviews but only 59 for Kawasaki and only 17 for Yamaha and a lot of those reviews were very positive for both those companies with Kaw getting a huge number of posiives. Polaris ran very negative all the time.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Unfortunately these are the same results I found two years back when I was doing research. Also have a number of people from a riding club in which the majority are Polaris owners. They all claim they like their machines but they do need constant work to keep them going. I am teased in good nature because I own a Kymco, but after two years + of hard work I can say I have had NO issues with over 800 miles covered. None of the Polaris owners in the club can match that!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shootr
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/spor...laris_atv.html

There are quite a few more like these. I got these from the first 10 reviews I looked at.

It's true that usually only people with problems go to these sites to complain. But there were 291 Polaris reviews but only 59 for Kawasaki and only 17 for Yamaha and a lot of those reviews were very positive for both those companies with Kaw getting a huge number of posiives. Polaris ran very negative all the time.
On the first one, he says in another paragraph, "I will say so far that I'm getting fixed under warranty." So there's nothing they aren't covering because he rode his off-road vehicle off-road. That was a 2017 1000 before they beefed up the axles and bearings. Polaris should cover it since it was a design fault, but they won't. He hasn't broken anything at all on his 2015 850 H.O., so they aren't all bad.

The second one doesn't say whether the engine was fixed or not, so no one knows if it was covered by warranty or not. The dealer shouldn't be asking for money up front just to look at it. I'd go to a different dealer. Polaris used to cover belts if they didn't look like they broke from abuse. If they still do, a good dealer would try to get Polaris to cover it if it didn't look abused, but that dealer said it was. If it wasn't, then that's another reason to go to a different dealer.

On the third one the dealer said the warranty wouldn't cover it because the ATV was wet and dirty. He should have told Polaris what the dealer said. I don't think Polaris would refuse to cover it for that reason, unless "wet and dirty" meant he rode it in mud and water 4 feet deep. It sounds like that dealer was being an a-hole. For all we know it was covered by warranty and the dealer put that money in his pocket. The last sentence says he's taking it to a different dealer and there's no comment after that.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Unfortunately these are the same results I found two years back when I was doing research. Also have a number of people from a riding club in which the majority are Polaris owners. They all claim they like their machines but they do need constant work to keep them going. I am teased in good nature because I own a Kymco, but after two years + of hard work I can say I have had NO issues with over 800 miles covered. None of the Polaris owners in the club can match that!
I was pretty bummed to see that the service was that bad. I know these are likely the worst cases but again I didn't see anything like that on Kawasaki or Yamaha. I found similiar issues with Can Am on another site. I know the first example the guy eventually got his problem fixed but there were a lot of others who didn't. I just posted the first 3. There were a LOT more. I realize Polaris sells a lot of ATV''s too but still, that's an awful lot of complaints. I'm going to talk to my daughter about the local dealership. She will know. It's her job to know. And I'll get the straight answer from her. My wife has wanted a 2 up for years and now that she's retired and the farm is being sold it looked like it was time. And maybe it will still happen. But right now I wouldn't buy one. Unless my daughter gives me better info I would suspect it would be just like my last Polaris. I spent a lot of money keeping that thing running. That's something I can't ignore. I had hope an extended warranty would solve that problem but apparently it won't unless I hear different from my daughter anyway.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 AM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Shootr
I was pretty bummed to see that the service was that bad. I know these are likely the worst cases but again I didn't see anything like that on Kawasaki or Yamaha. I found similiar issues with Can Am on another site. I know the first example the guy eventually got his problem fixed but there were a lot of others who didn't. I just posted the first 3. There were a LOT more. I realize Polaris sells a lot of ATV''s too but still, that's an awful lot of complaints. I'm going to talk to my daughter about the local dealership. She will know. It's her job to know. And I'll get the straight answer from her. My wife has wanted a 2 up for years and now that she's retired and the farm is being sold it looked like it was time. And maybe it will still happen. But right now I wouldn't buy one. Unless my daughter gives me better info I would suspect it would be just like my last Polaris. I spent a lot of money keeping that thing running. That's something I can't ignore. I had hope an extended warranty would solve that problem but apparently it won't unless I hear different from my daughter anyway.
Once burned, twice shy. I don't blame you for not wanting to take a risk on another Polaris. I wouldn't either if that was my experience. I think this is my sixth Polaris ATV, and if I had trouble like that with any of them, I'd probably have a Yamaha sitting in my driveway right now. If you want a 2-up, but not a Polaris or Can-Am, the only other choice I know of is a 2017 or older Arctic Cat.

Last edited by user493; 03-14-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Wrong information.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:30 AM
Trailblazer

There are things I really like about Polaris. I'm still waiting to talk to my daughter about the dealership just a few blocks from the Harley delaership where she works. She'll know how they do things at that Polaris dealer.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Moto Psycho

Polaris has been very innovative, coming out with a lot of things before anyone else. It's too bad they've apparently made a whole lot of crap in the last few years.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my beefs is with warranty , you read so many complaints about machines in the shop for weeks at a time for warranty work , why isn't in-shop warranty time credited towards the warranty ? If it's in for three weeks you should get three more weeks warranty ?

Old 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Yooper265
One of my beefs is with warranty , you read so many complaints about machines in the shop for weeks at a time for warranty work , why isn't in-shop warranty time credited towards the warranty ? If it's in for three weeks you should get three more weeks warranty ?
Stop it. You're making too much sense.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

They usually have the $1,000 factory Polaris rebate at the end of the year... I paid $6,600 OTD for mine with one of these deals.