Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking to upgrade 2003 Rubicon. Torn between ATV & UTV.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to upgrade 2003 Rubicon. Torn between ATV & UTV.

I will try to keep this relatively short, but with enough background to provide context. My wife and I are building a home this fall on 150 acres that also borders my father’s 90 acres (spoiled, I know). Right now I have a 2003 Rubicon that I primarily use for plowing my paved driveway at our current home, and for food plot work over on the property. The machine is in fantastic shape, but it’s full time 4wd which I never really liked. Our new driveway will be quite long (about 1/2 mile). I was planning on plowing it for now with my whatever I have access to (my ATV or a UTV, my dad’s tractor or his F250 with plow). We don’t get a lot of large snows here in Northcentral PA, and the driveway is going to be flat and straight, so I don’t have any doubts an ATV/UTV will handle it.

I originally was set on a Pioneer 700-4, but I started to question it based on price (I only pay cash). I do like the fact that my wife, son, and son on the way could all ride with me on it, and it may serve as better “tool” around the property.

However, I like that there’s more a “fun” factor with the ATV and it still can do most of what the UTV can, but at a lower price.

If I’m not planning on doing much trail riding (aside from on my property), but want something that can be a play and work machine, what is everyone’s opinions as to what would serve me best?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put 17,000 miles on my '01 Rubicon. Being in 4-wd was never an issue to me.

IMO I would not replace the Rubicon just to get away from it being in 4-wd all the time.

Obvioulsy if you want to take your family the Rubicon is not the answer.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Specta
I put 17,000 miles on my '01 Rubicon. Being in 4-wd was never an issue to me.

IMO I would not replace the Rubicon just to get away from it being in 4-wd all the time.

Obvioulsy if you want to take your family the Rubicon is not the answer.
I hate full-time 4wd. Plus I want EPS for plowing.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you hate it then why ask if you should sell it??

Get rid of it.

If you need to take 4 people buy a side by side.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Specta
If you hate it then why ask if you should sell it??

Get rid of it.

If you need to take 4 people buy a side by side.
I didn't ask if I should sell it. I asked if I would be better served with a new ATV or a UTV. Both of which involve getting rid of my current ATV. I already decided to get rid of the Rubicon.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mgh-pa
I didn't ask if I should sell it. I asked if I would be better served with a new ATV or a UTV. Both of which involve getting rid of my current ATV. I already decided to get rid of the Rubicon.
Wife and I noved to a UTV 2 yrs back and very happy with the decision. The atv' s we had were fine but rhe UTV is so much nicer. Easier to talk while riding, more comfortable, easier to take extras along and so much more versatile for work than the atvs ever were! No regrets making rhe switch here

Old 07-03-2018, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Polaris has a weird machine called the Sportsman X2. It has a small dump bed in the back that will hold an honest 400 lbs. of weight. It converts to a passenger seat so you can take someone on a ride. I had a 2006 500. Loved it. Just couldn't keep up with my friends on the trail who had bigger bores. They now make it in a 570. Good bit more power and will do everything you're asking.

But, nothing will carry 4 people that is quad width (50" or less). There are Polaris Rangers, Kawasaki Mules, Can-Am Defenders, etc. that will carry 4 people (some even more) Polaris Ranger 4 seater runs about $10,800. Not sure how the Honda compares.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:43 AM
Pro Rider

I personally like the 2 person ATV's, have 2. You are right about power steering, I wish my Arctic Cat Diesel had it, because that's what I plow snow with. When I use Differential Lock with a heavy 6' plow, get a work out. Cat also offers a rear dump box for the older TRV models. No idea what is going on with them now that Textron owns. You should try a few, both side by sides an ATV's. Sounds like you are ready to upgrade.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only reason for you not to get a UTV that I can think of (besides price) would be if it's too wide for the trails you might want to ride on sometime. But if you want to upgrade your Rubicon...

Looking for a quick and easy way to switch between 2-wheel drive to 4-wheel drive on the fly? Look no further! The Drive Shaft Switch Out by Wide Open is an ATV front-end disconnect system that allows you to manually disengage the front axle for greater maneuverability and then re-engage the 4-wheel drive for superior traction. This affordable upgrade offers increase maneuverability for a sport bike feel while providing reduced steering effort for decreased wear and tear on you and your ATV.

https://www.highlifter.com/drivetrai...-04-ds5000.asp

Other places sell it too.