Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Female switching from dirtbike to quad.. need help!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Female switching from dirtbike to quad.. need help!

Hey!
I have been riding my girlfriend's Honda Trx450R (2 wheel) and I love how light and fast it is. Recently, I rode a Grizzly 700 with an ATV ground and noticed that the 2 wheeler had to be pull out a lot.

My question is: what is your recommendation on a sport ATV that has 4x4 to keep up with everyone but also is light and fast and capable of hitting jumps without breaking an axle?

Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum Christine.

I would vote for the Can Am Renegade. We have owned them since 2009, and are currently on our third Renegade, which is a 2012 Renegade 1000 XXC. We have owned many ATVs in the last twenty years, and out of them all, my wife likes the Renegades the best. They have the best handling, best suspension, and best power of any of the 4x4 ATVs. And they will make your ride easier because of that, no matter what the terrain. The more difficult the terrain, the more you want a Renegade. If a Renegade wont make it, nothing will. When we go riding my wife gets to pick her ATV first, and she always chooses the Renegade.

Seriously, I often wonder why so many guys will buy themselves the biggest baddest 4x4 ATV they can afford, like a 2019 Grizzly 700, or a Sportsman 1000, or whatever. Then they buy their wife something like a 2003 Lacota 300. Then they go for a ride and wonder why their wife can't make it up a hill and has problems, or why she just doesn't enjoy the ride as much as they do. If they're going to buy one good ATV, and one crap ATV, then they should ride the crap ATV and let their wife ride the good one.

Anyway, that's my advise. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking Renegade too. Its not to be confused with a true sport quad, like a YFZ 450 or 450r. Its still a lot bigger and heavier. You mentioned wanting to take jumps well it can do that but don't go too big. The newer Polaris Scrambler 850 or 1000 would be good also. Its similar in that its fast and powerful and a little smaller and lighter than the Sportsman its based on. And these do have the added benefit of optional power steering if you want it. Yamaha used to make a Wolverine 450 4x4 from 2006-2010. I had one myself for a while. I liked the smaller size and manuverability. Very nimble. I just wish it would have had more power. It was ok on low and mid range but just wasn't very fast on top end. Was a good trail atv but if you have wide open areas where you want to go fast, its a little disappointing.