Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to buy?

I'm looking to purchase and ATV for all around use. 4wheel drive for the trails and plowing the driveway. I'm not looking for the Cadillac. Just something that I can depend on. Any suggestions?

Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Most of the 500 class machines will do what you are asking and most are pretty bullet proof. If you want the nicest ride comfort-wise go with the Polaris Sportsman. If you will have a passenger go with the 2 person machines from either Polaris or Can-Am. Much safer with a passenger. Hondas are pretty reliable but have a lot fewer features than other machines. Suzuki, and Yamaha also make good reliable machines but don't compare to the power of Polaris or Can-Am quads cc to cc. If you live at higher elevations a bigger engine than a 500 class might be a good idea. Elevation robs power.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Most of the machines made today are made well and for the most part trouble free if taken care of. Anyone can get a lemon now and then but it usually come down to how it is taken care of and how it is used. You didn't say new or used so.....give us some additional info as how big you are, who all will be riding the machine, you plans for usage etc. I am an older guy that takes really good care of his stuff and uses it correctly, for what it was intended to do. So, I have owned a Honda 400 ex, great machine trouble free, Blaster 200, great machine trouble free as a two stroke can be, Kawasaki praire 300, had that for 16 years, great machine no problems for 16 yrs! Just three years back I decided to get a UTV, searched for more than 3 months and drove hundreds of miles to look at everything I could look at. Decided on a Kymco 450i UTV, been a great machine, trouble free for the past 3 years and 800 miles, very well built! So as you can see using it for what it is designed for is key and so is maintaining them correctly. If your looking at a new machine look carefully at all of them, sit on them, take them for a test drive, if you buy a machine that does not fit you, you will regret it quickly. If looking at used do a search as some machines had bad years in their production and look for properly maintained and have the receipts and papers to prove it! If you have a chance to research the forums and consumer reports look for customer complaints per 100 units made....for newer machines you will find the Kymco brand has the fewest number of consumer complaints on the market!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything but Chinese. If I saw a shiny new Chinese ATV, and a used but well cared for ATV from anywhere else on Earth for sale, I wouldn't hesitate to get the used one. An old beater might even be a better choice than a new Chinese ATV. But as someone I know says about other things, opinions vary.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Anything but Chinese. If I saw a shiny new Chinese ATV, and a used but well cared for ATV from anywhere else on Earth for sale, I wouldn't hesitate to get the used one. An old beater might even be a better choice than a new Chinese ATV. But as someone I know says about other things, opinions vary.
X2 Avoid the Chinese quads.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Polaris is selling 500s for 4k, and now I just got an email saying Can Am is too. I was looking t back up for 2k. But then wondered about new. Though need to add winch, and brush guard.

I am nervous about Polaris, after my last one went up in flames. it 2005 so maybe better. Would feel better if they offered multi year warranty to build confidence.