ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Time for an ATV Upgrade (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/377608-time-atv-upgrade.html)

Crawfos 12-03-2018 11:07 PM

Time for an ATV Upgrade

Hello everyone!

I would like to hear your experience....

I’m looking at upgrading my 2006 Brute Force 750. I love this bike, it’s been awesome, powerful ,nimble, never let me down, sounds nice and weighing in at just over 600lbs , with a vtwin , it really is a ‘sport’ utility Atv imo.
I prefer to stick with one of the Japanese big bore. I do mostly trail riding in Ontario, avoid deep mudding or swimming my ATV unless necessary on the trail. I also keep up on maintenance. The reason for an upgrade is mainly for power steering, EFI and of course all the refinements 2019 offers.
I find the 700 class is perfect for the trail riding and odd utility stuff I do so my choices as I see it are Kaw 2019 BF 750 EPS SE, Yam 2019 700 Grizz EPS SE or a Zuk 2019 KQ 750 EPS.
I recently went on a ‘conquer the dirt’ trial at a local dealer and was able to ride the Grizz and the KQ back to back on a dirt circuit for about 40 mins each. I have to say , after reading all the favorable reviews on the Grizz,
I was very disappointed. With a new motor , clutching , great bike all around no doubt but , to me it felt gutless ,boring no excitement ..I guess for my riding style anyway and it sounded crappy. The KQ in contrast was nearing my old BF in excitement, felt like it had much more get up and go than the Grizz, handled very well, and sounded nice too. The KQ also has some similarity to the BF (e.g. rear wet brake)

I think all these bikes a very very good , it all depends on your type of usage, but that day I discovered for me, I was not quite ready for a Grizz yet and I’m not looking to modify a new bike.

So.... between the BF and KQ , what do you think? realizeing its not all about power.

Right now, there are no local dealers that have a new BF for me to test drive , but I gotta imagine it’s just a better version of mine.

thanks!

Kymco 450i 12-04-2018 10:48 AM

Be careful what you wish for! Just being newer doesnt make it better. Manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs and this normally results in a cheaper, not necessarily better made product. A friend has just bought a new KQ and it is a very nice machine with a very comfortable ride. However, we both noticed how thin and flimsy the plastic is. Wouldnt take much to rip or tear it. And new plastic is not cheap! I kept my old Praire for 16 yrs because it was built like a tank, and never had an issue with it. In 2015 I decided to move into a UTV and sold the Praire. First guy out bought it, he also knew how much cheaper newer quads were being made. While looking at utv I also compared new quads and yes there were new electronics on board but the rest of the machine was definetly made of lessor quality materials. Just to give you an example...my 2000 Praire 300 weighed 625lbs and that was an aircooled motor. Your machine is a twin cyl liquid cooled motor and it still only weighs 600 lbs. How do you think they added another cylinder and a cooling system and ended up with less weight? Yep..lighter materials in the frame! Not as much of a tank as the old models. Fancy electronics are awesome until they quit working, ask any owner on these forums, they can ve a real pain an costly to replace. While we all like new fancy toys, think carefully about what you wish for! Remember the old saying..." If it ain't broke..dont fix it"

MooseHenden 12-04-2018 03:26 PM

They updated the Brute in 2012 and it's a much better machine than the pre-2012's. More power, better ride (doesn't leave you with a punished by the trail feel), easy steering, and very sporty. Judging from what you've said the new Brute would put a bigger smile on your face. If I didn't need a 2 person machine (Mrs. Moose is an occasional passenger.) I would seriously look at the Brute. Like the others you tried, a great all around machine. But, has much more fun factor to me.

Crawfos 12-04-2018 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i (Post 3408575)
Be careful what you wish for! Just being newer doesnt make it better. Manufacturers are always looking for ways to cut costs and this normally results in a cheaper, not necessarily better made product. A friend has just bought a new KQ and it is a very nice machine with a very comfortable ride. However, we both noticed how thin and flimsy the plastic is. Wouldnt take much to rip or tear it. And new plastic is not cheap! I kept my old Praire for 16 yrs because it was built like a tank, and never had an issue with it. In 2015 I decided to move into a UTV and sold the Praire. First guy out bought it, he also knew how much cheaper newer quads were being made. While looking at utv I also compared new quads and yes there were new electronics on board but the rest of the machine was definetly made of lessor quality materials. Just to give you an example...my 2000 Praire 300 weighed 625lbs and that was an aircooled motor. Your machine is a twin cyl liquid cooled motor and it still only weighs 600 lbs. How do you think they added another cylinder and a cooling system and ended up with less weight? Yep..lighter materials in the frame! Not as much of a tank as the old models. Fancy electronics are awesome until they quit working, ask any owner on these forums, they can ve a real pain an costly to replace. While we all like new fancy toys, think carefully about what you wish for! Remember the old saying..." If it ain't broke..dont fix it"

Hello Kymco 450i, thanks for your insight! I hear ya but don’t necessarily agree. There are so many things that are newer and made better than say 10 or 20 years ago. Cars for instance and definitely ATVS. I know for a fact a 2012 and up Brute was greatly improved over my 06. Weight does not always equal strength or regitiity, Can Am had problems with broken frames at one time and they are heavy . Sure manufacturers cut costs but reputable ones won’t jeapodize thier product or reputation intentionally. I agree and don’t care for a lot electronics on my ATV , water and electronics don’t mix , but I don’t believe the Grizz,Kaw and Suk are ‘fancy’ they are pretty standard , when comparing to the wizardry of say a new Can Am(e.g. available with 3 power steering modes!).

I think for me is a good time to make the switch,while my great condition Brute still has some value. I think all these bikes are great and I’m looking forward for a EFI , EPS version to keep for years to come.

AdrenalineRush 12-04-2018 07:41 PM

Of your three choices, if you want performance and sportiness, the Brute comes out on top. If you want durability and reliability, the Grizzly comes out on top. The Suzuki is pretty much in the middle in all categories, which puts it right in the running overall. Test drive a new Brute and you'll probably buy that one. Good luck, have fun with it.

Big Frank 12-05-2018 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by AdrenalineRush (Post 3408606)
Of your three choices, if you want performance and sportiness, the Brute comes out on top. If you want durability and reliability, the Grizzly comes out on top. The Suzuki is pretty much in the middle in all categories, which puts it right in the running overall. Test drive a new Brute and you'll probably buy that one. Good luck, have fun with it.

That's right in line with everything I've heard about the three of them. Yamaha's quality is great but the 686cc single cylinder Grizzly can't compete with the power of those V-twins, or any big-bore twins for that matter. They should make a Grizzly 850 or similar size twin.