Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for first ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texmudder

Just have one thing to say after spending over 30 minutes looking at your pics. WOW!!!!

Thats extreme, more like swimming than mudding.

After seeing those pics, I wanna get mine now.

THanks for the show.

Old 05-22-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

We do have fun in the mud and water!

Old 05-24-2001, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider

Oneidgoof -

To answer your question about sales tax - I'm also a MN resident. I live in ND right now because I'm a student at NDSU. I've purchased a few quads and a sled in fargo, using my MN address. Here's the loophole: ND residents get charged sales tax when you license and register your quad, while MN charges sales tax when you purchase the quad. So between buying the quad in ND and registering it in MN, no sales tax.

They have closed the loophole with sleds, however, and I was charged tax when I registered it in MN.

This may be how iowa is set up as well.

ogre

Old 05-24-2001, 09:38 AM
Range Rover

Iowa kind of gets you coming and going. You pay the tax when you get the quad, but they also check to make sure you've paid the tax when you register it. You can always get out of the tax if you prove that you're ag-exempt, i.e. use it on a farm. They might do things differently closer to Minn. border too.

Old 05-27-2001, 05:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you are an experienced rider get a Yamaha Banshee. But its all according what kinda riding you will do. Here's my opinion

Trail Riding/Mudding= Honda Foreman 400
Trail Riding/Racing=Honda 400EX or Yamaha Warrior
Dune Riding/Racing/Going really Fast=Banshee 350

P.S NEVER GET A RAPTOR UNTIL THEY FIX ALL THE PROBLEMS!!!

Old 06-01-2001, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

The two Sportsmans I've seen over heat both had bad temp sensors for the fan. Both sensors were under a inch of year old mud. Hondas have less warranty issues. Polaris outnumber other quads in Minnesota 40 to 1. More problems with Polaris? Based on those ratios yes.
If you want to run in the back of the pack, buy the AC. They just can't keep up. The penalty for trying to avoid the sales tax is double the sales tax. Yes, some get caught. I had to show proof of paying the sales tax for all 3 of my 2k1 quads purchased since January. There are 7 Polaris dealers/repair shops within 20 minutes of my house. I can get parts. My brothers Honda would not start if below zero, no way, no how. There are 10 million accesories for Polaris. 9 for Artic Cat (or so it seems). Oh - jumper the connector at the switch and you fan stays running - you do not have to walk out. Some people should not own quads, computers or VCR's.

Old 06-01-2001, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, after doing all the research (if thats what you can call it)
I went and bought a '01 Rubicon. My father, did it to me again. I got that "disapointed" tone from him that was almost the same as if I had bought anything but a Ford. (He is retired from Ford)I took it out memorial weekend. Rained most of the day. When it stopped raining, the fun level went down. GAH!, WHAT A BLAST!

Can't wait to go submarining like Texmudder. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-14-2001, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Texmudder:
Those are some sweet pics. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]