Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for first ATV

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been surfing the net looking at the different models that are available.
I have a friend that is a honda freek. (wont even talk to me about other models, says that honda is the only way to go) He of course says get the Rubi.
My brother in-law is an Arctic Cat dealer, so I can get a great deal from him.
My father has a Polaris Sportsman and with its belt drive and overheating problems he has been having I am avoiding the sportsman.

So, the two models I have come down to are the Honda Rubi and the Cat 500 auto.
Went to a Honda dealer yesterday and left disgusted. His selling tactic was to bad mouth all other models (cats suck, polaris sucks...etc..)I left, sorta wished I would have told him off.
You would think a salesman could tell me what the Rubi has that others don't or what it doesnt have. You get the point. So that experience has put the Rubi in second place. Just the general attitude of Honda owners (example above and honda freek friends)
Both are about the same price, except the deal i can get with the Cat puts the Cat in first place again. ( I love my sister too, 8) )

Can anyone give me insight in which to go for?
Not really interested in speed. I am over 6', so leg room is an issue. (hence 500s) big guy too.
Hunting, trail riding, and maybe mudding.

The tranny in the Honda intrigues me, but i like the idea of Arctic Cat being a Minnesota company too. (Minnesota boy)

Price isnt that much of a deal, just want one that will fit my driving (dont see my sister that much, hehe kidding)

Anyways, thanks.

Old 05-18-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

Take the AC you won't regret it!!!! My cousin and my neighbor are the same way with Honda. I told him that I was buying an AC and he just laughed and said I was a fool. I can't wait for my cat to show him up!!!!
When I brought the cat home my neighbors wife asked why I went with the cat. I gave her all the high points of the cat that the Honda doesn't even have. I told her that I got a better machine with all my accessories for less money than they paid for their Honda.

Old 05-18-2001, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Honda makes a very reliable product no doubt. Do you have to buy a Honda to get a reliable ATV? No way. In my opinion many go with Honda just so they can say they own one. They do make for excellent buys on the used market however. That is how I got such a sweet deal on mine. People will go out and buy one and then have to unload it once the money gets tight. I also own a Kawasaki that has performed flawlessly for four years now.

It appears you are on to the only brand of ATV that many will steer you away. Like many others, AC makes are very good quad. In fact, their unique 4WD differential is considered above many others. I say go with the AC if the price is right.

Old 05-19-2001, 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

I am also a huge honda fan... But, I have a friend that has only ACs and he has never had a moments problem with them. If you like the AC, and can get a good deal on one, then I say "GO FOR IT".
Don't listen to people that have one brand and bash another. You ride what you feel comfortable with, be it AC or Honda or any other brand.
Peace

Old 05-19-2001, 02:36 AM
Range Rover

The best advice is for you to ride both of them and read all the articles and posts you can find about them. Really, it's hard to make a bad choice because all the newer machines are great. Did you consider the new Kawasaki 650 twin or maybe a Grizzly? They are both pretty big atvs if that's a concern for you. Good luck and have fun shopping-I know I have alot of fun just looking at all the atvs and talking to different dealers!

Old 05-19-2001, 10:18 AM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem, (A.C. / Sportsman / Rubicon)
Rubicon: nice tranny, drum brakes, swing arm,
heavy steering, elec. insts. (have heard of bad problems w/ some of those)
Sportsman: reliabilitby problems, heavy but fast,
very good ride
A.C.: great value for the money, many features
similar to Sportsman
Good dealer means a lot.
Good luck w/ your choice: These are all nice Quads

Old 05-22-2001, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys,
I found another Honda dealer right next to an Arctic Cat dealer. Been going between the two checking them out. This new Honda dealer is so much better than the first one.
I had pretty much made up my mind.... Then I talked to my father. ACK! He got me so confused, and stressed out. He did one of the unintended guilt trips. ("well you know, *brotherinlaw* is family now...") I went back to both dealers to look at them again. Asked alot of questions. (drum brakes, 2w/4w lever, tranny, warrenty, etc.)
You know what did it for me? Just sitting on them again. The Rubi just feels better. Dont know how to tell my father. Maybe.... "screw you, its my money"? hehe, just kidding.
Wish there was a way to test ride them. The Arctic Cat dealer said that I could ride it around the parking lot (they sold the one i was looking at, so it would take them a couple days to get one prepped for the floor again) I might go back wednsday or thursday. Honda dealer is pressed for space, so not possible to ride it.

Heres a question for someone. A friend of mine went out of state and bought his ATV. He of course didnt pay any tax. He says he still didnt pay any when he registered it. That just doesnt make sense. Anyone know if he maybe just got lucky and found a lazy clerk? Oh, minnesota and he went down to Iowa.

Thanks again guys.

Trending Topics

Old 05-22-2001, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Both should be great quads. They are different though.

The AC (manual not sure about auto) is more aimed at work. It is geared low and does not have a great top speed. The independant suspension is awesome! The steering is VERY tough. I cant imagine riding it all day and I know my wife wouldnt put up with it for any amount of time. It has disc brakes which are a big advantage if you ride in mud and water.

The Rubicon is a great quad too. Much easier steering. Geared great for trails. You have the option to shift if you feel like it. The drums stink if you ride water and mud. Overall a great quad.

I dont think you can go wrong with either quad. With proper care they will both last forever.

I had the same problem with test driving. I am in a city environment where they have no place to test drive any quad. I could not even consider an AC since I couldnt tell you where an AC dealer is within 60 miles.

Old 05-22-2001, 12:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard that the drum brakes are not the greatest. Why? Is it because there is just more maintance with them or.... You would think that Honda would go something better if there was a problem. From talking to my Honda friend he says that thats just the way they are, all hondas have em.

Thanks Tex, looks like you have added alot to your Rubi. Where can I find info on stuff to add?
And how has yours been riding for you? Oh, and did you get the added four year warrenty?

hehe, can't wait to get one.

Old 05-22-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with the drums is the sealing. When you ride in a ton of water and mud the seals eventually let in the mud and water. You have to service them frequently to maintain braking power. Now, I will say that servicing them is cheaper than the replacement of the discs in the same condition. So you have a trade off there.

As far as mods there is a performance kit coming out for the Rubicon very soon from HL as well as a big bore kit. I get all my mods at www.highlifter.com. One down side to the AC is the lack of mods for it. Not many folks are making stuff for the AC. I think this might be due to number of owners. Down here I will be luck to see 1 AC every month while I see Hondas and Polaris all day long.

Mine has been a great quad. I did not get any type of warranty. The dealers around here are dirt and street bike dealers. They happen to have quads. They know nothing about quads and I dont want them touching my quad.