Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

suzuki/kawasaki/yamaha opions

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am looking at buying a new atv to replace my big red and have narrowed down my choices to three models. bear tracker; bayou 300; susuki 250 4x4. all are under or around $4000. i am looking for feed-back both pro and con on each one
thanks

Old 08-17-2001, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

The Beartracker is Yamaha's replacement for the Timberwolf which had a reputation for being underpowered. According to reviews of the Beartracker, Yamaha took the same basic engine and installed a carb with a larger intake and lengthened the stroke to get more power. Haven't really heard either way as to whether it made a difference.

Can't say too much about the Suzuki since I don't know anyone who has owned one.

I can say however that the Bayou 300 is a very reliable machine and a very good deal with it's dual-mode rear differential. It handles great when in the "slip" mode (since the rear wheels can rotate at different speeds when making turns), yet can also be locked to ensure no loss of torque (ever get stuck with your car or truck) to either rear wheel. A single mode or "open-type" differential would loose torque in both wheels as soon as one begins to spin.

Keep in mind that the Bayou line is probably the last of the pure utility quads and are known more for their strength and simplicity than speed and feel (like the automatics).

Hope that helps.

Old 08-18-2001, 12:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the help, every one I know owns an older Honda , Bayou, or yamaha. i'm looking for a quad thats easy riding , reliable and that can get me to the deer stand. Sooner or later my children & wife will be riding it also. My big red is good machine but it's tyime to upgrade