Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which utility ATV to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 04:31 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy my first ATV. Definately want something 4 stroke with racks. I have a budget of $2000 to $3000. I would consider paying a little more for a real nice piece. 4WD would be nice, but not necessary and I don't want to pay extra for it. Was considering something in the mid 1990's in the 250cc to 400cc range. Was wondering what used machines have proven track records. Have heard good things about Honda and Yamaha. All major brands have good dealers in my area. I hate to buy new, but the Honda Recon is tempting with a list at $3499. Any ideas on how much you might actually pay for a new one of these? Are they reliable? I'm afraid that it may not have enough power - or do you think it is adequate? Would I be better off getting something used in the 300cc plus range? Sorry for jumping around so much, but I have alot of questions in my mind and it's hard to get them sorted out.

Old 08-15-2001, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

For close to or around $3,000 you can get a AC 300 4x4 with IRS, 2/4wd and with a very simple mod to the shift lever, true 4wd lock. A three range tranny with high, low and superlow for very steep hill climbs, or towing huge loads. 4.75 gallon tank, and highest rated rack capacities of any quad in it's class. Take a look around, you can get either a '01, or possibly even a new '02 model for around $3,000-within your budget. Also in doing so, you'll have one hell of a tough utility machine, well proven in the field, very dependable, and even with the '01's, a warranty to back them up, with either an additional 18 month extended warranty, or a Warn A2000 winch for $69. Take a look at what AC has to offer-for your price range, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. It has been said before that AC offers the "biggest bang for your buck", while I am particularly tired of hearing that phrase, it is true and that can't be denied. Disc breaks, liquid cooling, true four wheel drive, large gas tank, highest rack capacities, IRS, the list goes on.

Best of Luck with the decision, you should definately give them a look and a test ride for sure, I think you'll be impressed with what you get for your money.

Mike

Old 08-15-2001, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

if like you said that there are alot of dealers where your at start by calling then go by and see what used they might have(might find something)also ck the paper,dealers might also have a buliton(that's not spelled right)board.also depends on how fast you want to start riding,if no luck start with new one.i'm partial to honda and also yamaha

Old 08-15-2001, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

cowboy are the cat's that cheap(not being funny)thats not bad for a new one.if thats the case your right a new one and possibly a extended warranty would fit right in

Old 08-15-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Pooh-
Oops, my mistake, had the years messed up there-very sorry about that! Just called the dealer, he didn't have the list handy for the '02s, but the '01 are in at $4,300 and if you buy two or more, he said he could drop down on that price-retail list is at $4999 for that machine, so around $4,000 is a pretty damn good discount. He just sold the last of the '00 300s for $3,500-this price was below his cost-he had two machines, somebody came in and bought them both just the other day. They both had 6 month standard warranty, and both got the $69 winch. With the mention of the Recon at $3,499-for $1.00 more you had the 'Cat 300 with IRS, 15 gear choices, (hi, low, superlow 5speed), diff. lock, disc breaks, full floorboards, full skidplate, highest rated rack capacities in it's class, etc. For the price, a damn good machine, and within his budget. That's where I got side-tracked, I knew I'd seen somewhere a very cheap 'Cat in the $3,000 range.

Anyway, my point was if you look around a little, you'll find a lot better deals. He mentioned a mid 90's year in the 250-400 class, I think he can get a lot newer 'Cat for the same price range he's interested in. The way quads get ridden, I'd hate to recommend a used quad if at all possible-you just never know how hard they've been ridden, and it doesn't take much to clean them up to look nice to an unweary buyer if you know what I mean. Consequently, you see a lot of guys buy a machine that looks to be in good condition and may run fine for the short term, but within a very short amount of the, the "bandaids" begin to show themselves, the machine wasn't quite as "nice" as you first thought. It's sad to think of, but very true these days. The other thing is AC doesn't have the "name" honda that most people pay for, though the quality is just as good, as is the reliability. Consequently, you can pick up used AC's for a lot cheaper than other brands in the same cc range, and get a very capable, very tough quad out of the deal.

Anyway, thanks for catching my error there, wouldn't have even paid attention if you hadn't have questioned me-again, sorry for the mixup!

Best of Luck, Happy Trails!

Mike

Old 08-15-2001, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

man you had my mouth watering!

Old 08-16-2001, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

if i was looking for a first utility quad i would try to find a honda 300 4x4. i have one and many neighbors around here do also. these are nothing high tech but are practically bulletproof. one of my neighbors has a 1996 and he is on his 5th set of front tires and 4th set of back tires and the 300 still runs good. definately a durable machine.

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-2001, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i've got a 95 4x4 they are tough,like you said pretty much straight forward.i my self i'm a little afraid about some of the new stuff that has came out

Old 08-17-2001, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

I found a 1997 Recon for sale for $2800 negotiable. Does this sound like a reasonable price? Do you think the Recon has enough power? I won't be doing any heavy pulling with it. Maybe just towing a small trailer around my property. It would probably be used mostly for trail riding. I'd prefer to buy used. I'm the type of person who can't bring myself to buy something new.

Old 08-17-2001, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hondas make for a very good used buy. Many folks will buy one just to say they own a Honda, then have to unload it once the money gets tight. The key is to be patient and not worry about what they say when you offer them several hundred less than what they're asking. And never buy one without a current title since so many are stolen.

As for reliability, look at anything that doesn't start with the letter "P".

Quick Reply: Which utility ATV to buy?