Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What one is best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2001, 08:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am interested in buying an ATV...I have no clue which one would be the best for me in terms of its size and how I can handle it. I am a 17 year old female. I have always heard that Polaris and Kawasaki are good brands but I really have no experience with either one because I have lived in the city most of my life and now that we have moved to the country all of my family and friends have ATV's and I want one too. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Kate

Old 09-05-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Do you want an automatic or manual?

Do you want to crawl over rocks and go through mud, ride dunes, trails, etc.?

What kind do your friends and family have (4 wheel drive, 2 wheel drive,...)? If they all have 4x4 quads and crawl over rocks, you won't do very well on a Blaster. If they shoot through trails on Banshees, you won't keep up very well with a 4x4 utility quad.

Old 09-05-2001, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

Like he said, what kind of riding is it and what do others in the area ride? Being Ohio, I'll bet it is mostly trail riding. There are 3 kinds of transmissions: automatic, autoclutch, and manual. There are 2X4s amd 4X4s, etc, etc.. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. Get back to us. You go girl!!!

Old 09-05-2001, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, they do mostly ride on trails and on the farm. I think I would rather have an automatic but I really don't care. I think it comes down to which is the cheaper to go with at the moment. Is it better to buy new or used? Probably new because you know it doesn't have any problems but at the moment I just want something to ride to see if I like it or not and my family members don't trust me with theirs so I really haven't tried one out. HEHEHE

Kate

Old 09-06-2001, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

Doesn't sound like anyone is very supportive! The ideal thing would be to ride someone elses bike to see how you like it. Off-road is something my family loves to do, so I have made a commitment($$$) to support them in this.

For trail riding you want something that is light and agile (light and agile is just always more fun anyway!). At 17 you might still be growing, so you don't want to pick a bike that you will grow out of quickly. A used bike is a good pick for a beginner, but only if you have someone who can help you maintain it. If nobody will let you ride, at least sit on the bikes and get an idea if they feel large or small. Remember the names of the bikes, and tell us how they feel. Oh, and buy some quad magazines and start educating yourself about the different brands. Take Care!

Old 09-06-2001, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just think that they are afraid of me wrecking it and screwing theirs up, if it was mine and I wrecked it they would laugh at me but my friend Brad has one so I am going to find out some infor from hime cause I know he would help me out! :-)

Kate

Old 09-06-2001, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Here are a few suggestions...

You don't have to buy a Honda to get a very reliable ATV. Polaris is the only brand I have seen where owners reported a lot of problems in the past. Most if not all the others are Japan-based manufacturers (Polaris being a US-based snowmobile company) where lets face it, they continue to kick our tails when it comes to reliability in just about any type of vehicle. Still, most of these companies now have assembly plants here in the US.

A 2WD will get you through a lot of places if you're one who has not problem going around deep mud holes. Go with a 4WD if your chores require you to go through such spots in order to satisfy a work need.

Most ATV's sold are in the 300-400cc range which is plenty of power unless you intend to pull stumps on 100 degree days. ATV manufacturers continue to have fun (and make a lots of money) selling quads with massive engines to guys with the same size ego.

Automatic transmissions are great for those who ride more and haul less. Those with auto-clutch transmissions cost less and are more of a hassle, however clutch plates will take more of a beating than belts.

Enough for now since I probably already ticked too many folks off.

Good luck.