Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda 450S/ES

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering the 2001 Honda 450 in either shift or electric shift - comments from experienced riders would be appreciated:

1) Is 7.5" clearance enough? I wont be using it a big mud bogs, but in the mountains on
rough trails with rocks and stumps, logs etc.
2) Any recommendations on the ES model in terms of how well it works and its
reliability.
3) Does the ES model come with manual shift in the event the battery fails or gets weak?
4) What is the largest size tires that would fit without the need of a left kit?
5) Does putting larger tires on a machine cause problems with gearing etc?
6) Are there any common problems which have arisen with the Honda 450 machines or do
they have a solid reputation overall??

Thanks for any useful input [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-07-2001, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

I have a '99 Foreman 450S. I personaly prefer the standard shift, but I have some friends who have the ES. They do ocasionally have a problem with the electric shift working, but Honda has put a lever in the rear compartment just in case you have to shift manually. The fact that they supply an "emergency" lever with the ES helped me decide against that when I bought mine! However, the 450 is a very reliable machine, and works well everywhere I have ridden, even in the mud! Only problem I have seen is the front tires "toe out" in the front, which makes them hard to steer, especally on tight trails. I adjusted my front wheels to where they are straight, felt like I added power steering! The only problem I can see with straightening out the front wheels, is, they might be more unstable at high speed, especially in a turn. But, it will be a lot eaiser to manuver on the trail! Besides, I have no interest in high speed riding anyway! You would have plenty of clearance for larger tires with the stock supension, but I have no idea how big you could go. One of my friends put on a bigger set of tires, and says he lost a lot of power! Has to use a lower gear in the mud and some times has trouble getting the bigger tires to spin. For me, the stock tires have always been sufficent, and I figure the machine was built to handle these, so why change something that works? Hope this helps! Jim

Old 10-18-2001, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I also have a 99 450S. It has never dissapointed me in any aspect.
Power, handling, and reliability are all top notch. I am in the
saddle up to 8 hours per day some weeks. Unless it is hunting
season, I never add the mudders (hence my name). When they are
on, I have never noticed significant power loss. I can sure as he11
spin the tires (vampires) with no problem. I have spent more time
on this quad than in my truck. I have been in a multitude of
situations on this quad. I have NO gripes about it. I chose the
S over the ES much for the same reason as jwctrx. That little
lever just made me nervous. My only mods have been a lift kit and
K & N filter kit.

Old 10-30-2001, 09:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an "02 Foreman and am for the most part satisfied. I run the ES model which does come with a manual shifting lever. The clearance is not that great but has not been a factor as yet, I too ride mountain trails. One complaint I have is the ride !! It will beat you up big time. My 95 Polaris Mag 425 with 1600 miles rides better as does my wife's Rancher. All things considered the bike is pretty good and fun to operate, low gear is LOW gear!! The drum brakes are also an area where they could improve but all in all I think you will enjoy this well build bike!

02 450 Foreman ES 4x4 w/ warn 2000
02 Rancher ES 4x2
95 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Old 11-05-2001, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

from what i've heard the electric shifts are a little hard to get used to but once you are used to them they are very nice. Like when you riding in some deep mud you don't have to have your feet on the pegs to shift so you won't get wet i would say go with the ES