Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Test rode Grizzly and Prarie..Someone push me over the edge!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I went to the dealership and rode both. The 650 is definitely quicker but it didnt seem like the Griz was slow by any means. I like the looks of the Griz better but all they had was silver and from earlier posts it seems like that color might be a problem (could someone help on this as well?). I will be using it for recreation mostly and to plow myself out in winters. I don't think I will be drag racing any time soon so the speed difference dosent bother me any. I will say the engine braking on the prarie seemed superior. It also seems that the 650 will be easier to maintain because the parts appear more accessable. Also while running, the Kawie sounded smoother and seemed to run better. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to go hand over the cash on Monday. Also prices I have gotten are 7K out the door for the Griz (plus 69 for the winch), and 6500 for the 650. Are these good prices?

Old 11-14-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Get the Prarie. I had a hard time deciding. These are both awesome machines. Quads have never been this good.

The Prairie engine is more powerful, and it is so much smoother. You spend all you time on the quad listening to the engine, the Prairie's engine is so nice. If you have a grizzly, you will always feel the engine vibrate.

The grizzly has easier steering and more ground clearance. Bigger gas tank.

The Prairie is more stable uphill and sidehill

The 4x4 system on the Prairie is by far better and more satisfying. The pushbutton diff lock (with rev limiter) can really suck at times.

The engine brake and hand brakes are better on the Prairie.

I chose better engine and 4x4 of the Prairie over better front susp and clearance. But one thing that keeps me thinking that I made the right choice is that older Prairie models have been so much more reliable than grizzlies, I feel it is a better choice.

Old 11-17-2001, 05:54 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Get the Kawasaki. The rev limiter on the Griz is a not a good thing. The Kawi is also priced better!

Old 11-18-2001, 12:17 PM
Range Rover

These are two great machines, but for recreational riding the Grizzly has something the Kawi lacks: 4-wheel independent suspension. Independent rear suspension offers numerous advantages, the most important being its ability to allow you to ride long distances over rough terrain (at a higher speeds) without taking a beating. If this is not important to you, then either machine is a good choice. But, based on experience, a premium big bore recreational Utility ATV must have a smooth ride over uneven terrain. Therefore, you have four choices: the Grizzly, the Sportsman, the Arctic Cat 500i, or wait until next summer for the Rincon.

Old 11-23-2001, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

The thing I don't care about the independent rear suspension is the unstableness when cutting accross the side of a hill. If you were to throw a deer or elk on the back of a griz and have to cut accross the side of a hill, it would be way more challenging than if you had a solid rear axle.

Old 11-23-2001, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

I can only tell you this. I own a grizzly, and have had a ball on it. I have had the oppertunity to race heads up aganst a prarie, and lost in the innitial streight away. Once we got into the corners, and expecially into the whoops and ruts, i walked right past him. Yes, the grizzly vibrates a little, and the limiter is a thing to be reconed with. I look at it like this, if i am running hard, and am forced to have to back up, then i went wrong somewhere. I can tell you from experiance, that the belt drive is flawless as far as i'm concerned. I have had this thing up to the tank in water, without ever slipping. It seems to have neverending power, and handles real well, moreso than i ever expected! Now, for my likes to the grizzly...
The auto breaking is great! This machine seems to improve as it breaks in. The breaking is just enough to keep you slowing down gradigually on big hills, and helps keep you in control in corners.
I cant beleave loud is a concern, but it is not overbearing at all. Being i am on a automatic for the first time, i am still the type who likes to hear the engine, (probibally from shifting in the past)and it lets me know when hookup is acheaved.
I love the control of push button 4 w/ drive. Its there when i need it, and gone when i'm done with it, without having to take my hands off the bars. For me, it has been flawless!!!
As for differant grades, the independant suspencion is a must. The ground clarance is ausome, and vary needed when trees and rocks are in the path. I can out turn alot of 2 wheel drive machines, and easly get it sideways out of a corner.
As for silver! My friend got silver, and he hates it. it is painted on, so it can be scrached off. I got red, and it is doing great.
The grizzly is not a bad running machine at all. It is solid, and responds fast when you ask it to. The dash is great, even in sunlight, and the stability is better than i have read about. I dont find this machine tippy at all, and i have taken it to 65 on a gps( spadomiter read 66.)
The one and only downfall i have over the machine is the tires. They are great for trailriding, but not too good in the thick mud. I will be getting some goodyear mudrunners for great allaround handling.
So, if i were running on smooth trails that were wide open and could take 65 plus mph, then i would get the praire, but if you are going into the rough ground, whoops, mud, muck, trees, and all the differant grades some harder trails offer, then i would get the grizzly. my good friend has a sportsman 5oo, and even he cant beleave how this thing soaks up the ruts!
finally, for maintance. Changing the oil, antifreeze, and greasing the machine up is easy, totaling about an hour to do it all. The front and read diff. is also easy to check and fill, as long as you have an allen wrench set. If i rated the machines, i would give the grizzly a 9 1/2. the sportsman a 7 and the prarie a 9. All the power means nothing if your on the axle in a rut as a grizzly is rolling on.

Old 11-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

love that IRS, iF your back ever bothers you on long rides you may realy wish yoou had the grizz or the sp700

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2001, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am thinking about buying a Grizz 02 but have read some problems with gas boiling in the tank. Have you had this problem or smelled any gas fumes at all.I would use this machine around the farm & in snow for fishing.Any comments would help .

Old 12-02-2001, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

A number people have been reporting it. This is a design flaw. There are two other major manufacturing flaws (easier to fix) that I know of. They seem to be readily repaired by the dealer. The are the left cv joint retainer clip and a bearing in the fron diff I think.

My friend has an 02 griz and no gas boiling, but we ride in NY state.
No one has died or been injured from the gas boil that I know of.

I always thought that Weekend warriors beat their machines while farmers mainly put more miles on them. I seem to hear about more breakage from the weekend warriors than farmers (and especially fishermen). I may be feebly attempting to imply that I doubt you will have problems with the griz.

I have the 650 and one other kawasaki. They seem to be so well made that I think I will stick with kawasaki.

Old 12-07-2001, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hope you got the grizz. the reverse limiter can be bypassed with wire cutters, I have 2 660's my wife loves hers because of the comfort and easy handleing with 28" outlaws its not a problem. We haven't found a hole deep enough to get stuck as of yet, still searching.

Quick Reply: Test rode Grizzly and Prarie..Someone push me over the edge!