Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Used Warrior or new Mojave or 300ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, heres the deal. Ive riden for 10 or so years on a Honda 350X trike. At 319 lbs. it was quick for a big guy (6', 235 lbs.) until I crashed it. Now that Im in the market for something new, price is a factor. For almost the same amount of cash, $3900, I can get a new Mojave out the door, a financed Honda 300 ex (their running that special 6.9% interest) or a used 2000 Warrior.

Ive researched all of them. Being somewhat old school, I kinda prefer kickstart (who wants even the slightest possibility of getting stuck). I rode the Warrior and thought it was somewhat underpowered, although it made need a new plug and clean filter. It also handeled a little poorly. However, it was in pretty good shape. Now I hear the Mojave has an advanced motor for a small cc bike. The Honda feels good to sit on, but reputation has it that the Kawa is just as good or better than the 300. Plus both these bikes would be new.

Im not looking for a hauls ***** kind of bike. I dont race or MX. I do climb hills (hardpack mostly), do trail riding and sometimes open it up on a wide road. I want a bike with good (doesnt have to be great) power, good handling and reliability. I probably only ride 6-10/year, mostly dirt and some sand.

I know displacement matters. However hearing that the Warrior 348 cc motor is old technology and that Honda's 300 (282 cc) is similar in power to the Mojave 250, I want to see if the Mojave is similar in power to these other bikes or just laggs way behind. Believe me I dont think for a second the Mojave could outrun or outpower the Warrior, but maybe its as fast/quick, etc. For the Honda, it seems like most people say its a wash between the Mojave and 300 motors.

It looks like everyone trashes each other, but all I want is objective discussions. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2001, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

I now nothing about a Mojave,I own a 300ex and love it.The Warrior is heavier & faster but does not handle as well as the ex.The ex also jumps better.Hope this helps.Daryl

Old 11-08-2001, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your size, I would stay away from the Mojave. I am 6'2" 220# and felt really cramped on the Mojave. Do you still have your 350x? If you do, definitely buy a 300ex. From what I have heard, you can swap that motor in without too much trouble. I have no experience myself though, so don't hold me to it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Post a thread in Performance Mods and Mechanical and see what others have to say about that conversion.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Even at your size and feeling cramped would you say the Mojave had good enough power to tow a guy your size around? Did it equate to the 300ex or Warrior? How big of a difference was there?

I know displacement matters. However hearing that the Warrior 348 cc motor is old technology and that Honda's 300 (282 cc) is similar in power to the Mojave 250, I want to see if the Mojave is similar in power to these other bikes or just laggs way behind. Believe me I dont think for a second the Mojave could outrun or outpower the Warrior, but maybe its as fast/quick, etc. For the Honda, it seems like most people say its a wash between the Mojave and 300 motors.

Thanks.

Old 11-08-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say the Mojave is nimble and handles well. Power wise, it seems a little weak bone stock. If you are willing to put a pipe and jet kit on it, the motor really wakes up and is competitive with a stock Warrior.

Old 11-08-2001, 12:15 PM
Pro Rider

Avoid the Warrior! I rode one for years, and can testify that they handle like a big heavy beast. But, of the 3 bikes you mentioned, it is the only one that will fit you. The other two bikes are to small. Try looking for something larger, like a 400EX, etc.

Old 11-09-2001, 01:35 AM
The Facility

The Warrior never won a shootout in any magazine with the 300 EX. Mojave is a real nice ride, but the thing is just to small for most people.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2001, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

I took my warrior, witch i thought wastoo slow and too heavy handling, and added some parts. I added an exhaust system, supertrapp. I put a larger jet in it, and a k and n filter on it. cut out the air box, and made it fit. Finally, i put some holeshot tires on it, and was amazed on the differance. This thing was a HOLE BUNCH FASTER. I am 5 11, and 210. it threw me around real easy after that. Handling became easier only due to the power coming out of the corners. When stock, i could get the front up in second if i worked at it with body english, and after, i could do the same in third!!! I have owned and driven it for 5 years, it being a 96, and haven't had a hint of a problem. Total cost to moddify it was about $700.00. My brother now owns it, being i bought a new grizzly, and he has added a new suspencion to it. he says it handles alot better now. So, if you can afford to buy the warrior, and do the modds to it, then it is probibally your best bet due to your size. I seemed to be able to handle me real easy after the modds, and i could be comfortable on it, not too packed in.

Old 11-24-2001, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

i have a mojave and love it. the thing will beat a 300ex and will keep up with a warrior. the mojave handles very well because of it's size. the mojave has a very powerful 250cc 4-stroke engine. it has DOCH(double overhead cams) liquid cooled and is higher compression then the other machins with a compression ratio of 11:1. for the price the mojave is a great package.

Old 12-03-2001, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Here is a idea. The suzuki quadsport ltz400 sounds like just the ticket for you but it is a little higher in price than you want.

Also just for your future purchasing information you can get a new 2001 warrior for $3999. A new 300ex will run you $3795 and a new 400ex will run you $4595. These are terrific prices on all machines as they are brand new. These prices are from chicago cycle center at toll free 1866-25-cycle or 1-773-338-7320. They are also listed in www.traderonline.com

Have fun shopping hope you find one you like.

C'ya

Quick Reply: Used Warrior or new Mojave or 300ex