Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying an Atv to plow snow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2001, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone help me out, I want to buy an Atv to plow on my dirt road. I'm trying to get diffent opinions on snow plowing, I'm not getting much info at all, so I guess nobody really plows with these things. I live in Southern Ontario, and we don't get a huge amount of snow, but enough to get my pickup stuck on the road. I really would like to see some pictures of what you guys plowed, and what is the best plow to buy, HELP the snow is coming.

Old 11-12-2001, 08:48 AM
Trailblazer

I have been looking into the same thing as you. I have a long gravel driveway that drifts in pretty bad, but like you, we don't usually get a ton of snow. I am really leaning toward the Arctic Cat linup. The power, torque, and realiability really sold me. Take a look at the AC folder and look for posts from Cowboy, Boner and others about the work they do with their ATV's, and the minor types of work needed on them. For the most part, change the oil, and filters, brake pads and that's really about it.

I am looking at the AC 375 4x4 Auto and the 400 4x4. The price is about the same. I have heard that plowing with the Auto is a bit easier, but I really don't know. Both ATV's look great. I would go for the 500, but can't afford that, and I think that if I can't plow this driveway with either of these, than its not worth going out!

As for the plow and hook-ups - check out www.mooseutilities.com.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2001, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I think either machine would work fine but have read that many prefer the 375 over the 400 on here somewhere. I have a friend that just got a 375 and is happy with it so far. I have not had a chance to give it a try yet. Was not very impressed with the 500 personally seemed rather weak to me when I drove it. I know others would totally disagree with me I thought it would go better than it did. I have been using a 400 Xplorer for 3 years now and works real well, 60" Cycle Country plow manual lift. The 2 stroke starts well in the cold. Plow mfgr's that I know of are Cycle Country,Moose & Warn. I saw an AC promotion here for a winch & plow either free or 69$ which sounded good to me. I do think that you would want liquid rather than air cooled since you will be working them hard and there will not be much flow for cooling even with the cool temps and the snow flying. Also the auto would be easier than shifting put in gear and go. All in all I do not think that as long as you get 400cc range and above utility machine your needs would be met. Happy Plowing