Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV dealers say..........

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shopping for a new ATV for my wife and these guys just don't deal like a car salesman. They say they have a minimal or low markup, is this true?

Old 12-30-2001, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

I think a really good ATV, that has good features, and is reasonably priced is the 2002 Arctic Cat 300 2x4 (or 4x4 if needed). Not sure what her level of riding is, but if she's like my wife, this would at least be a good place for you to start. Arctic Cat's ATV site, choose 2002 Lineup, then 300. All the specs are there, I believe the 2x4 is under 4,000, and the 4x4 is around 4,500? Anyway, not knowing enough about what your wifes needs will be, this would at least be a good start for you, but there are many others to check out in this range of ATV

Old 12-30-2001, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Well the 01 DS650's were 6999 and a dealer here in Utah was selling them for 4999 in September. They don't have all this stuff they add on, because I have bought a streetbike from them before. Food for thought.

Old 12-31-2001, 01:04 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not really sure what she wants yet, we are shopping right now. As far as riding skill goes she handles my DS pretty well so far, she doesn't ride it as hard as I do but she's pretty good. I've never thought about Artic Cat until just now but I'll sure look into them now. I'd rather put her into a 4x2 but I think she's leaning towards a 4x4.

Old 12-31-2001, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Sorry dude, just noticed you ride at DS650 (stupid me), made those comments thinking utility ATV, not sport. If your wife is going to ride with you, perhaps a used sport ATV that won't get her killed. But if you are looking for a Utility ATV, I would at least check out the AC's. They are a safe, reliable, work horse that can take some major abuse. However, if she has ridden yours, and is an adrenaline junky, I would steer you to other brands. Sport Ute ATV's are getting really popular, maybe a used Polaris 500 HO or used Yamaha Grizz 600. Let me know, I'll give you any help I can from the utility ATV side if you need it. However if she is new, you might want to start her out on a used ATV. If she still loves riding after awhile, then go get a new one, and she'll have a better idea of what she wants then too.

Old 12-31-2001, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

Greetings,

I bought both of mine from the same place. Both times they asked for less than list and threw in a free helmet. I've found that a more ragged kind of place asks for more money and tacks on a set-up charge. Maybe that can be justified, but the nice professional kind of shops didn't ask for it. Just one man's experience -- includes about seven dealers.

Old 01-01-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

I know of two dealerships in Mississippi that sell new ATVs at unheard of prices, the majority of their sales being to out-of-state buyers. One is Hattiesburg Cycle. Now we all know they would not be able to stay in business by selling them at a loss don't we.

I live in Texas now but grew up in Mississippi were incomes are low compared to the national average. Still, I am sure these dealers are buying them at the same costs as other dealers throughout the country. So in other words, most dealers make plenty on the sale.

My experience is that you should concentrate more on rural dealerhips that offer ATVs on the side, places that normally see tractors and other agricultural equipment. You're absolutely right, buying one from a dealer in the city is most often just like buying a car.

Old 01-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Just so ya know a recreational dealer is just like a new car dlr (I sell cars he he)They make there money on dlr hold back, set up fees and service. Actual profit from invoice is almost nothing but they make up for it in used machines traded in and dlr quanity incentives. The sales people are most likely spiffed from the manufacturer along with any unit incentive that the dlr may have for the salesforce. (commissions, salary, unit bonus') But remeber this if the dealer does not make any money then they go out of business and you have know where to bring your machine for service, welcome to America the home of the almighty Dollar!

Coldncruel

Owner of a broken Quest XT 650
hoping bombadier makes the whole deal right for me!

Old 01-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Hi Guys
Now I am confused. My wife was out riding with me today on my 2002 650 prairie now she is hooked.The 650 as we all know is way to big for a woman. I even have hard time after few hours riding with this beast.So I am looking into getting her a qaud plus using it as my second ATV when I dont want to use the 650 because it so big.Has anyone personally seen the new 360 Prairie.I was also thinking of a Honda Rancher but want something with 2 wd /4 sd switchable like my 650. My wife is 5,6 140lbs so please let me know what your wifes ride. Need something with easier steering too.
GB in NJ

Old 01-16-2002, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Hi tampavii,

My wife had a Honda Rancher ES 2x4 and she could go just about anywhere that I could go on my Scambler 500 4x4. She is 5'5", 120lbs and she loved her Rancher. I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

regards,

ash

Quick Reply: ATV dealers say..........