Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Predator, Raptor, or Ds650? Please help me!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator, Raptor, or Ds650? Please help me!

I'm trying to choose between 3 great sport quads, i love the styling on all of them, price is not a factor.
I've got a list of pro's and con's for each but that doesn't help me much. Some pros for the predator is its styling( my favorite of all), the engine size is perfect, perfect suspension travel, good dimensions, and the zero bump steer thingy, ect..., the con's are that it doesn't come close to the torque of the ds or raptor, thats all. Oh yeah, the troy lee edition is the one i want.

The raptors pros is its power and light weight. But the con's are a much of a bigger deal, the small width, wheelbase, i could buy wider aftermarket a-arms but then stiffer shocks would be mandatory(shocks are expensive), same goes with a longer swingarm. The axle wouldn't be a problem. If the raptor was wider in stock, i would buy it in a heartbeat.

The Ds650s pro's are obvious. The leading power, wide a-arms, long wheelbase, wide axle, reliability. But the biggest con is the 460lb weight, i have sat on the ds and raptor but not yet on the predator.

By the way, whats the msrp on the predator and the troy lee version? And can someone please tell me what bump steer is?

I also plan on buying a full exhaust system for any quad i get, jet kit, maybe nerf bars(whats their purpose?), and a more protective bumper.

Please, don't recomend any other atv's for me, these are the only ones that interest me.

Old 02-02-2003, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

I absolutely love my Predator. I would recommend them over any other. The steering, suspension and the power are awesome. I wouldn't worry about it not having enough torque. Get the suspension set up right, hammer the throttle, and HOLD ON!!!! Awesome shifting, nice and smooth. I love riding it. Buy it.

Scott

Old 02-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

What type of riding will you be doing?

All the Quads you listed are good at everything but some are better than others at specific things. This list is what each quad in my opinion is best at!

Track type riding: No question Predator Nice power, great handling, very good suspension!
Trail Riding: Raptor, Great power, Great bottom end, good handling, reverse.
Wide open spaces: DS, Very Comfortable, Plush suspension, great power.

Nocando

Old 02-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

The most solid advice?

Ride each and every one of them! Then make your decision.... Beg borrow or steal a ride from either a buddy or the dealer, but I'd make sure to ride it before I'd buy it... that will tell you alot!

Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer

I'll do half trail, half open spaces. This would probably bring me to the predator. I think i should just stick with the predator. The raptor is light and powerful but would probably be the one that would roll over the easiest. I love the ds's wideness, but i hate its weight, that thing is really a tank. Plus the ds wouldn't be as fun as the predator anyways, its long swingarm and heavy weight will make wheelies a sucker, i love doing them on atv's.

Yep, $crew the other 2, the predator is perfect, wide enough, exceptional power, weight is good. i'll just have to add on a rear sprocket with 2 extra teeth, carbon muffler, air filter, maybe a jetkit, and aluminum skid plates to protect the arms. These mods would bring the predators power closer to the raptors.

I certainly wish i could test ride one from a dealer but chances are they won't allow it.

Old 02-05-2003, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Actually,
A stock Predator has more horsepower than stock Raptor ( see Sportquad.com dyno results). Don't judge it by the way it comes from showroom. I cannot say this enough... You must set suspension up for you. I was riding an EX and liked Raptors power but harder to go fast on and a little more difficult (less forgiving )when jumped. I kept my EX. My buddy sold his Raptor and bought Predator...had pipe from dealer. I had one two weeks later....now I long for no other bike. It is so easy to go fast on. No one can touch you in corners and suspension is awesome. I call mine the sponge. Sounds like you are making right choice. Though the Raptor is awesome looking and the new flames rock...later