Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2000, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please provide unbiased opinions only. Thanks.
The company I work for is purchasing three ATVs for field use and it's my job to do so. We've decided on either the Honda Foreman ES or Polaris Sportsman 500. Both appear to fine machines, but not being an avid ATV enthusiast I'm still unsure what machine will provide the most bang for the buck.

In speaking with other sources, some say Polaris is better, some say Honda (reliablity being the number one reason). We are leaning towards the Polaris for one main reason: given the fact we do not have a formal training program, the automatic transmission can't be overlooked.

Your assistance and input is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-13-2000, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

In my unbiased opinion. I own neither of these brands, I have a Kawasaki. I would opt for the Polaris because of the Auto Tranny, but For the same Dollars you could buy the Arctic Cat 500 auto and have a greater rack capacity,greater towing weight,not have to grease a dozen or so fittings every week, and have the auto tranny to boot. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-13-2000, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Yamaha and Suzuki owner, I'd pick the Honda but delete the ES , the opinion being the KISS theory. Honda was having problems with the ES model altho they may have corrected them by now. Nevertheless, a simple manual shift with the auto clutch, from a maintenance stand point would be your service dept's choice, I'm certain.
As for ease of operation or indoctrination, I wouldn't think that merely releasing the throttle & shifting occasionally would be a major factor at all.

Old 04-13-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey I got a honda 450-s model but thats what I like. honda's 450 can pull out what you need around 1,000 pounds, any more than that you got a greater risk of bracking the axle. I got 5 more things to say is that why don't you wait untill HONDA comes out with the FOREMAN RUBICON 500?????

1. They have a auto trany thats totally differ. from other atvs thans...

2. they also have a super low transmission and a high proformance mode for it plus you can swith it in ESP [ELICTRIC SHIFT PROGRAM]. You got 3 differ. trans you can choose from...

Polaris as well nown for there belt slipping and freequent maintains...

On honda, there unbeatable atvs that can't be stopped for anything...

Old 04-13-2000, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

what kidna stuff ya ride in?

the 450 would be better here... unnless you water proofed the belt.....

my uncle has a 450 and it is powerful enough for anyone.... but we all reallly like the LTF 500

it is jsut a all out power house and has the best turning for a big bike i have ever riden

Old 04-14-2000, 06:45 AM
Pro Rider

My opinion is that the Honda ES would be the better choice. From a maintenance perspective they are very reliable and require very little upkeep other than scheduled maintenance. Unless your company has a maintenance department to do the work, you dont want your equipment tied up in the shop when it should be at work.
Also as far as the automatic vs. shifting question I dont think I personally would send my employees out in the field on this type of equipment without some formal training for either type machine. The push button shifting is very simple to learn.
Lastly, I dont know how long you plan to keep them, but if resale is an issue (and a wise business would say it is!) Then there is no doubt that the ES would be the better choice.

Old 04-14-2000, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

If I were you I would opt for the Polaris. I think that the Realibilty issue is bunch of bull now.If Polaris hadnt changed there design in 10yrs or more you would have never heard a thing bad about them. Both quads will be easy to learn and everyone using them should have proper training before use.I own a 98 Polaris 500 and have owned many forms of Hondas,Yamahas,Suziki,and even a Hodaka dirt bike and the Polaris is by far my favorite.

Old 04-14-2000, 09:23 AM
Trailblazer

I had Hondas for the last 20yrs. Never had a large problem but they don't offer the features you can get on the Polaris Sportsman 500. Most Polaris dealers will let you ride the bike you are thinking about. You probably have friends that own both machines. If you can ride them both on the same day you can make your own decision. I can say that among the riders on Polaris machines I am around the reliability is not the problem that people (who probably never even rode one) have made it out to be. The Belt does not slip when you go through water unless someone did'nt put the cover on correctly. Like I say don't make a decision before you ride both of them. Gardner10

Old 04-14-2000, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider

I have also owned several different makes and models. I bought my first one ( an off road motorcycle) in 1968 and owned mini bikes before that. I have personally owned 5 different brands of bikes and I have done ALL the repairs and maintanence on all 15 of them. I also work on quads for my friends who drive different makes and models including sport and utility. Let me assure you I am basing my opinion on a wide variety of hands on experience not a one case scenario. I wasnt attacking the reliability of a Polaris in particular. I was merely saying that between the two there is no contest as to which is more reliable. Honda built its reputation on reliability and still holds the crown for it today

Old 04-14-2000, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

If its only a company bike get the Honda you do not need the comfort and options of the more exspensive Sportsman and the Polaris needs to be greased regularly.I would look at a 500 Suzuki it cost the same as the Honda with a much larger liguid cooled motor.

Quick Reply: Foreman ES vs. Sportsman 500