ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Buying an ATV (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/)
-   -   Beginner Looking to buy new quad!!! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/buying-atv/93203-beginner-looking-buy-new-quad.html)

iwannaatv 03-23-2003 07:06 PM

Beginner Looking to buy new quad!!!

I'm 15 and a half and i wanna buy a brand new quad this summer, nothing used. I have my eyes on the kfx400, predator500, and moto440. I want your opinions on which one i should get, its an extremely hard choice to make because all the quads i listed have pros and cons. The predator is cheap, powerful, wide, long, and looks good, but its 45lbs heavier the the other two. The kfx is cheap, light, but its not wide and long. The moto440, is the best overall, its the kfx and predator put into one. Wide, light, powerful, state of the art suspension and all the other stuff, but the biggest thing is that it costs alot, i don't know how much, can someone tell me?
Which would you get if you were in my situation? Remember, don't recommend anything used, or a warrior or blaster, i'm only interested in these three.

RPM 03-23-2003 07:22 PM

All are good quads, but you might want to reconcider the Cannondale, since they are out of business for right now, and maybe perminately.

nccracing 03-23-2003 07:51 PM

If you are a beginner, Just my opinon but, you should get something a little tamer.

ftwflh 03-23-2003 09:21 PM

If I were you I would tune it down a little and go for a 400EX they are great learner bikes and are upgradable.

iwannaatv 03-23-2003 10:37 PM

Whats wrong with the quadsport400, same cc's as the 400ex. I don't plan on doing high jumps and all that other stuff on my first days of riding, i'll keep it down a notch. I don't even like the 400ex anyways.

And if cannondale might go out of business then doesn't that mean that dealers will sell the atvs for cheaper.

I reject what rpm and nccracing say about getting something more tame, if you were to ask this same question to a sportbike forum on another site than all the members would tell you to start on something 500cc's or less, i'm just saying this because as far as i know bikes are harder to learn than atvs and their power deliveries are crazier than a atvs delivery. I want a single cylinder 400cc quad and you guys say that it is too much, yeah right. The c'dale would be the easiest, it wouldn't tip over as easily as the others. Heck! The raptor would probably be easy to ride too. The price of the moto440 is no problem.

RPM 03-24-2003 03:03 AM

First off, I Never said that you should get something "More tame"

The reason I said to "reconsider the Cannondale" is because due to the fact that they are closed for business, maybe indefinately, there is no one to warrantee the quad if anything goes wrong, and eventually the replacement parts May become hard to find.

If you look at my signature, you will notice that I own a KFX400, so I personally think that you would like a Z/KFX400, but the Predator is also an outstanding quad. That is why I stated "All are good quads".

Good Luck.

reconranger 03-24-2003 10:46 AM

Go with the KFX 400. Good all around bike!!

Coyotechaser 03-29-2003 04:36 AM

KFX400 or Z400 would be a good choice.

chad400ex 03-29-2003 11:25 AM

Sorry to start the flame, but a 15-16 year old "beginner" has no business on either of those quads. I'm sure he'll tell me different, but you gotta start with something a little smaller and learn how to ride before riding something capable of going over 70 mph. I dunno...it sounds like mommy and daddy are buying whatever you want, so it really doesn't matter what any of us say. Just stay away from the C-dale...I've got a couple friends that own them, and they have problems. The company is bankrupt, and sooner or later, parts and repair-shops will be a thing of the past. I think a safe choice would be the Z/KFX400. It has turned out to be a really good bike. The predator hasn't been around long enough to work out all the bugs yet.

And as far as comparing a sport bike to an atv....you are way off base. A 600cc sport bike has around 100 horsepower, where a 660cc quad has around 37 horsepower. Each one has its own challenges when learning to ride. You'll find out for yourself whenever you make your decision. Quads do have a faster learning curve, but that all depends on who you ride with. Riding with the right group of people can be very helpfull. You can see how they approach different obstacles, and copy their riding style. I've been riding for over 20 years now, and I've seen alot of beginners (most of them are in their 20's and have paid for their own quad...which does tend to make them be more carefull in the beginning) start out on sport quads. Lately it seems that the raptor is the quad of choice out here, and every beginner will have a few crashes/roll overs. I guess that's the only way you're going to learn though. Wear a helmet, gloves, and good boots, and don't give up after your first crash...because you will crash.

Bing 03-29-2003 11:42 AM

what chad said!