ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Camping, Hiking and Exploring Gear (https://atvconnection.com/forums/camping-hiking-exploring-gear/)
-   -   What do *you* use your GPS for? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/camping-hiking-exploring-gear/314447-what-do-you-use-your-gps.html)

GrayGore 06-22-2009 07:08 PM

What do *you* use your GPS for?

Anybody got any good stories where they used their GPS and ATV together? I'm thinking about mounting my GPS on my ATV, wondering what interesting uses people have found.

Thanks

GrayGore

firehog 06-22-2009 07:44 PM

I need a gps to find my gps! LOL! I misplaced my first one, bought a new one, and of course, found the old one. Now I have two, but I couldn't find either of them until a week ago! LOL! I suck at the whole gps thing! When I have one of mine, I use it to find my way back (breadcrumbs are good!). That's only when I get lost and not under a heavy tree canopy, then the gps is worthless. Oh, don't forget fresh batteries, too! LOL!

hoytultratec 06-23-2009 07:32 PM

I went riding a new area 2 weeks ago and fired it up when we left the buddies driveway and we didnt get lost! it worked very well.

mostley i use it in my boat on lake michigan and it has saved my butt in the fog quite a few times 7 to 10 miles out and the fog roll in unless you are very good with a compass you are not finding the harbor.

I use a Lowrance H2O

mudslinginfool 06-23-2009 08:29 PM

ive used mine for several things. Before i got one in my truck, i would use my hand held to find gas stations with diesel fuel since not all of them have it. Ive used it to find hotels and restarants also. While atving, we ride a national forest that we know how and where to ride in the northern part,but we have also found where to begin in the southern part of the forest. Knowing we were in the same forest, we wanted to try and ride to the other area and could never find the trails to lead us there. So when we rent riding in the northern part i recorded our trails,then the next time we went,i recorded our trails in the southern part and just kept riding towards the northern trails. Next thing you know ,we found the northern part and rode all day. ive used it to know my altitude while hunting in wyoming and ive used it to check my speed or how many miles ive gone(my bike has 28" tires,so its off a bit). Ive also used it to locate deer stands/areas while in the dark. It even came in handy when going to new lakes and getting out there on the open and unfamiliar waters. If you outdoorsy,its a wonderful tool. Make sure to pack extra batteries!!!

Rancher247 06-23-2009 09:18 PM

I use mine to go geocaching. Basically finding hidden treasure. You can exchange little trinkets, and sign the logbook, or just sign the logbook. Nice cause it really teaches you to use your GPS in a fun way.

BioWare 06-24-2009 10:01 PM

I use mine when driving and riding the quad. I think i use it more on the quad, i ride alot of places where i have been lost and used it to find my way back to camp.

swampyjunior 06-25-2009 11:03 AM

I most often use mine to find my way back to my ATV after a day of Moose hunting in the swamps. After a while the peat swamps and black spruce all start looking the same. I have also used it to mark the location of a kill site to find my way back to while packing out the meat and I share it with my friends who hunt the area so they can stay away from it so they do not have a close encounter of the brown bear kind.

Mud Slinger 10-07-2009 07:18 PM

Finding my way and more

I use my Garmin Handheld gps for all sorts of things. First of all I use it to find where I am on new trail systems. I also use it to find my way back when cross country riding. I can trace my route back or set my gps to lead me back to my starting location. The thing I use my gps for the most is to track my rides in google earth. You can track your rides and load them in google earth and see the terrain you were riding. You can regenerate maps by setting waypoints. If you bring adigital camera you can also load pictures into google earth along your plotted maps that show good nature pics or buried quads. My family has mapped Wayne national forest with pics of family and friends buried and can share the google earth file. We can all then print the google file because it is more accurate than the map they sell. Finally, you can save the gpx file and reload it into your gps or share it with friends and they can retrace your ride.

walker935 04-24-2010 02:53 AM

For my birthday , I recieved the Garmin Nuvi from my brother.... It will take you around wrecks and traffic within 5 minutes of them happening. It works most everywhere Otherwise, it is amazing and it gives accurate result.The Nuvi is the best GPS I have ever had. Generally it is more refined then any other GPS brand out in the market.

CaptainQuint 04-25-2010 12:27 AM

I use mine to map the locations of trees on my farm. I can mark it on GPS, note its species, size, health etc. I use the data to put together a database of trees on my property that have commercial value, the ones which are damaged and can be cut for firewood etc. It also helps me determine where I need to plant trees or species that I wish to increase. It's a lot of data and I obviously can't document every single sapling on my place but I'm getting the larger ones, the ones I cut, new seedlings and working my way on down.