ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Camping, Hiking and Exploring Gear (https://atvconnection.com/forums/camping-hiking-exploring-gear/)
-   -   Portable propane/butane heater for high altitude (https://atvconnection.com/forums/camping-hiking-exploring-gear/316067-portable-propane-butane-heater-high-altitude.html)

19TankHead60 07-26-2009 07:59 PM

Portable propane/butane heater for high altitude

I bought one of those "Buddy" heaters last year and it worked great for my January deer hunt at about 6000-7000 feet but doesn't work over 7,500 feet. In September's elk hunt I will be camping about 11,000 feet using the X2 and off-road trailer to get to the border of the Pecos Wilderness by way of a forest service road. What do you use for heat when camping at this high an altitude? I read some reviews on the Coleman ProCat propane heater. I was kinda surprised Brunton doesn't offer one since I bought one of their backpacking stoves. I've never camped/hunted at this high an altitude. I have a Coleman dual-fuel 2-burner stove and hope this doesn't give me any problems. Any input to prepare for this trip is mucho appreciated!

tramp 08-19-2009 08:46 AM

Ventless heaters will not work above 7000 feet, there isn't enough oxygen, and unless you don't want to wakeup in the morning it is a bad idea to try and use them.

If you need a heater, check out a collasible wood stove with a stove pipe to run out the tent. That is what most guides use in altitude. It must be vented to the out side. For cooking you can again use the wood stove or cook outside on a camp fire or portible propane grill.

Again, don't use a ventless heater or cooking grill in a tent or structure at that altitude.
We have a cabin at 10,000 feet and all of our heaters and stoves are vented to the outside. Check out my profile for pics of our cabin.

19TankHead60 08-21-2009 03:00 PM

Ya, I read where your coming from. Here and on the net. Thanks. I got that Coleman Catalytic heater. Works fine at elevations of 11,000 feet. Its approved for use indoors. Everything you do has its risks. Thats why I stopped riding my bicycle to work. I've got a great tent (high/low venting) and sleeping bag that I've used in January w/ that "Buddy" heater going all night. And those vents were open wide not the minimum. I may not even use it. But thats not what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for a good little cold spell to get those elk screaming. But at 11,000 feet I'm preparing as best I can for the worst. What maybe 3-4' feet of snow. I'm packing in almost a half ton of gear, food and water (20 gallons) with my ATV and trailer. Maybe in a few years I can get me one of those tents w/ a vent hole in em.

tramp 08-22-2009 08:30 PM

Buddy, I don't want to sound like a broken record., But please don't use that cat heater in a tent at that altitude with no vent. I am not kidden' , You won't wake up in the morning. I know from experience. That is death waiting to happen. You must vent in heater or cooking stove in that kind of altitude if it is used in an inclosed structure. Get you a good sleeping bag so you don't need a heater and do all your cooking outside the tent.

Was at 10,000 feet last week and it snowed for two days. If it stays cool and wet the Elk will be rutten' in a couple weeks.

19TankHead60 08-22-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by tramp (Post 2835873)
Buddy, I don't want to sound like a broken record., But please don't use that cat heater in a tent at that altitude with no vent. I am not kidden' , You won't wake up in the morning. I know from experience. That is death waiting to happen. You must vent in heater or cooking stove in that kind of altitude if it is used in an inclosed structure. Get you a good sleeping bag so you don't need a heater and do all your cooking outside the tent.

Was at 10,000 feet last week and it snowed for two days. If it stays cool and wet the Elk will be rutten' in a couple weeks.

I have a Eureka Timberline Outfitter tent with high/low venting, a very good sleeping bag, Under Armour cold gear, parka, 2000-gram thinsulate boots.... and I have a tent annex to do all my cooking under. A couple weeks will be just about right. 3 weeks will be perfect. I am so ready. Got the gear all ready. Needed to get a spare trailer tire/wheel today. Neglected that when I bought this trailer last December. Thank you for the warnings! I'm planning a hunt to remember for a lifetime. And living to remember it by.