CAN-AM (BRP) Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer Non-General or Non-Basic questions about your CAN-AM (BRP) ATV. ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE CAN-AM (BRP) SECTION. Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!
MrHorsepower and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

Need info to adjust valve clearances

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
I don't hear the tap and knock noises at all but they seem to be difficult to hear on a video. I also notice his idle speed is quite constant while mine is more rrrr rrrr rrrr, varying by 50 - 100 RPM, especially when cold but also sometimes at low speed the engine revs are pulsing. Keep in mind we are in a tropical climate so its never really cold.

When I checked the engine oil it was red with black blobs in it which seems really odd to me. I am even suspecting the previous owner put diesel fuel in there or something. I managed to get a new oil filter that should arrive tomorrow and I will get new engine oil tomorrow. Maybe with a change of oil it will run smoother and quieter.

In case anyone is wondering why I don't call out the Can-Am mechanic. I did. I ask him to check the pulsing idle speed and the noise but he didn't do either. He charged me 3,000 pesos (which is almost as much as one of my workers earns in a month) to change the name and delete outdated entries in the log file. They want 6,000 pesos plus oil and filter to change the oil! So far I am very unimpressed with Can-Am service. If I employ someone to change the oil it will cost about 400 pesos.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Can you ask your dealer to start up a new one so you can hear it idle to find out if its normal or not?
Sometimes you can get fooled and the sound is not even the motor but some lose vibrating part near the motor.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I thought about that but its a few hours round trip and the only two ATVs they have in stock don't even have the tires inflated or fitted properly so maybe they don't have any gas either

If it is still noisy after the oil change that may be the best bet.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I changed the engine and gearbox oil. The engine oil was filthy and the gearbox oil stinks like rotting coconut.

I found the location of the noise! I removed the CVT/clutch cover and the tap tap noise is coming from the CVT. I think once per revolution of the crankshaft. It disappears as the revs increase and the pulley starts to close. I also noticed that the fins on the back of the fixed half of the pulley are scraping away the surface of the plastic back cover behind the pulley.

I need to investigate the clutch also because if I pull away gently I get what sounds like a metallic squeal from that area. Do you guys think it may just be the drive belt or something worse in the clutch?

Any suggestions or advice please post. Thanks again