CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help with some troubleshooting!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with some troubleshooting!!!!!!!!!!

I have a 2000 ds all stock. We got back from California in March, no problems until I got back to MN. I went out for a ride in Early April and as I left my yard and hit the gas my DS sputtered and died. I hit the starter and it idled fine, but any gas I gave it made it cough and spit and die, no RPM past Idle. I took off the carb and cleaned it, not much dirt or anything, but I found a hole in the diaphram on top of the carb attached to the needle. I replaced it and it worked great until last weekend. Same SH-T again, hit the gas and all that happens is it spits and dies. Still Idles fine and I checked the diaphram again and its fine. but it is still has a temper.

All that is left is maybe a plug is not firing??? I havent replaced plugs since i have owned it. Gas is 91 octane and full! Carb is clean. Everything else stock! PLEASE HELP! Cant go without R'sssssssssss.

Thanx

Old 08-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Range Rover

I had a old honda that had those semptoms and it turned out to be the fuel filter screen above the gas petcock. I cleaned it and it ran fine. I think enough was getting through at idle but not when you open it up.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

if the connector to each coil is not VERY TIGHT, you could have this problem. they should be tight and not easily wiggle.

i'd clean the gas tank screen as well.

you should also clean the oil tank screen periodically, by the way, or you'll starve the motor of oil.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the Info!!! Also where is the screen in the oil tank? When I bought my DS I never got a manual with it.

Old 08-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

When you look at the bottom of the oil tank from the front of the quad...There is a hose on the right...and a drain plug on the left... To get to the oil tank filter screen...You need to first remove that hose on the right, then you will need to unscrew the nut that the hose was clamped on...The filter screen will come out with the nut...

Note : You will lose all of your oil by taking off that hose... So clean it and do an oil change at the same time.

Also replace those plugs!! They are cheap (1.30 each?)! A plug gets damaged over time, it's not just cuz it gets dirty that you need to replace it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Just do it and see [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You'll have better sparks any way...

Old 08-23-2003, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Oh, and by the way, The manual doesn't say anything about the oil tank screen... But there are other helpful things in there..

I didn't get one with mine either(Bought it used).... Went to the dealer...asked and she gave me one for free.... She said they got them for pennies...so she gave it to me...

Worst case scenario you might have to pay a few bucks if they are mean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Jeff

Old 08-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know about the 2000, but the 01 it is on page 03-07-3. And the 01 manual was far, far from cheap. But the disk was....thanks to my bro and e-bay[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 08-23-2003, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

I meant the operating manual... Not the shop manual...

And yea I got a disk on the way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

LOL....oops i didn't even know they came with an operating manual. Guess I better find that and read it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Sorry Tyre I couldn't resist. It's Saturday and many beers later. But all my chrome is shinny again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2003, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]