CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Dyno results on the TVI 720

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno results on the TVI 720

oh i though you had dyno'd the new piston set up, i know what you dyno'd at fsw cool i know that piston made a good difference on your machine from what it was.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ok no problem - No, I haven't dynod since 4SW. Man, you were starting to scare me ... WTF? LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] All I can tell you is what the 14:1 feels like - certainly low end torque and hp have increased - I don't think the percentage gains on the top end on my piston are as consistant of increase as they are from the low end. The new lighter 14:1 is supposed to be much lighter than the one I have - I would think the gains would increase more consistantly over the entire range with the one that's offered now.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

Well I'm going to have a similar setup to Squatcher. I hope my kit eats my Stage III bud's up. As far as I know the difference between mine and squatcher are

- Airbox (me) Direct Mount Air Filter (him)
- TM45 Carb (Squatch) Lectron 44 (me)
- Alba Pipe (Squatch) Trinity Stage IV (me)
- Ron Wood CDI (Squatch) Graydon Proline box (me)

We both have stock valves, porting and big bore.

One of the primary reasons I did'nt get the larger valves is; one money, and two I want to retain bottom end. I didn't get any wild racing cams, I asked for something that will increase more top but retain bottom. If I had anything bad to say about Gary is that I asked if I can get this kit to be able to use pump gas as race gas is expensive (a bit over 5 bucks a gallon) and I have to drive 1 hr away to get it. When I got my kit I asked him about it and he was kind of vague, he pretty much hinted to use race gas in which way I didn't want to use. When I asked him what can he do to lower the compression he mentioned a thicker or dual up on a gasket and they can custom make it for me "we're not cookie cutters" he stated. I understand he is very busy and he has always answered my questions. I plan to pick up a MSD ignition and the sprocket guard he offers.

Going with TVI you get:

- returned calls
- He is reliable and when has the time in his busy schedule he answers questions anything you have
- Unlike Ron Wood, he enlightens you with knowledge and things worth mentioning
- He dislikes Raptor (heheheh)
- Customer service is there and if my Stage III bud is impressed and plans to get a 720 big bore (and he is hard to impress)

and last... I was supposed to pay him all up front. I didn't get the loan to do my motor. I sent him my parts along with a money order for $1000.00 to start. Originally I was just going to get the big bore... but since it was out and I hate taking this heavy motor apart I figured get porting and cams. I didn't have the money as I told him to and asked if he can work with me. He did so and didn't give me any flack about it so I am grateful for that.

Originally I was going to get a Sam Coe kit. The price was right and the lure was very appealing. However after repeated attempts in trying to contact him about it I decided to go with TVI. Ron Wood is good also but those kits aren't for me. THe Stage III is an all out screamer and my bud has one and I think for the money it might be worth it to some. I hope to annihilate or at the very least keep up with my Stage III bud if it's possible with the stock valves and my setup. I will defintely post my results with my 720. I don't have access nor funds right now to dyno it. I will report with how I feel this motor runs.

Old 11-25-2003, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

Gary is a great guy...he was in the middle of putting one of you guys motors together one day when i called and he normally does not accept calls when he is working on a motor..well he did for me b/c i couldnt get my ds to start...and it still wont idle...i have done everything...but for everytime i have called gary i have yet to have a prob w/him he has helped me out every step of the way...but there is something MAJORLY wrong w/that only gaining 2.5 hp???heck switching exhausts you can gain that much power...i think your timing might possibly be off...i would go back and double check EVERYTHING...i know when i swore my timing was perfect it had jumped off a tooth...does anyone know what i cna do to get mine to idle..i have a TM45 on alky..it has always idled before i put my piston and head work in...

Old 11-25-2003, 04:11 AM
Pro Rider

Let me help you out here Squatcher.

I have:
TVI 720 piston, cylinder and valve work, meaning 40mm intake and 34mm exhaust. My porting was done by another company. I should have right around 13 to 13:5:1 compression. Now unless Gary didn't shave your cylinder down some you only have about 11 or 11:5:1 compression. I also run the 109 grind cams which are .425 lift and 260 duration @50. I have a TM 45MM carb running stock needle which I beleive is a 96 in the middle clip, a 40 pilot jet and a 145 main jet. K&N Carb mount filter and a RWR pipe and CDI. Now I think I am running a little rich right now and I am going to drop down to a 142.5.

My Samcoe kit running about 12:5:1 compression with his piston everything else the came except for a little combustion chamber work that Gary had to do for me to work with his piston, came in at 62 h.p. and 48 ft. lbs of torque. That was at optimum jetting also with a 142.5 main jet, 140 was just going to lean and a 145 was just starting to go to rich. This was on a Dynojet Model 168 Dyno. Now at 4SW's I was at 55 h.p. with a Stage 2 kit from Gary. Now I know this new motor is much better than my Samcoe engine and if I had to guess I would say I have about 65 h.p. and about 53 ft. lbs of torque now but that is a big quesstimate! All I know is I am very happy with the performance!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I am running 110 Race fuel now and I think I may even be able to jet down to a 140 main with it, but it is very hard to read plugs running this Comp 110 VP fuel![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Marky the 14:1 should pick up about 2hp all the way around, maybe a little more on the bottom and torque should be the same. Now when you go to alky it really starts to shine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MrHorsepower

Old 11-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you sir. Someday I'll convert to alky!

Old 11-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I missed the the chatter last night. Lots of questions to answer. Let me start by saying that I did mention that I felt a difference with the motor being stronger on low end and there was a 6hp gain from 3000 to 6500rpm. I thought overall HP should be higher than 2.5 HP. Scooby the only thing I don't know is the cam chain.how do I check that. everything else is OK. Tony I have the same set up(cams, 720, jeting,needle, carb,port on head and intake) as you excecpt I have an alba pipe and Vortex CDI. Do you have the big values because I do not have them. Has anyone dynoed stage II and 720 with all conditions the same? I did have the same pipe, tires, carb, gearing and dyno. I did have the bigger cams and shim under buckets put in with the 720. My total HP was the same as KM Duners. Same shop did the work. I didn't compare the touque.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Punisher, I don't have the bigger value but I am running 110 fuel. Jet is at 145 and Gary did squish the head. If the bike feels like it is running good could something still be wrong?

Old 11-25-2003, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

My 720 seems to run pig fat with the 145 main, 97 (leanest available) needle in clip 2, 35 pilot, 50 accel. pump jet. Are you getting a good bit of carbon buildup on your exhaust flange after each ride? I've been meaning to throw in a 142.5 main to see what happens but cold weather is coming & I figure I'll see how much 30-40 degree temps lean it out.

Quick Reply: Dyno results on the TVI 720