CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

power kits and exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power kits and exhausts

I am new to ATV's and have questions about how to make my 04 DS650 perform better. I was thinking about getting one of the KN power kits that has the air filter, pre-ware, and dynojet kit.
1. Do I have to pipe it before doing this or will the power kit work with a stock exhaust until I can a Ron Wood?
2. Is the KN filter ok for very dusty conditions? I ride in Florida and have conflicting things about the KN letting in too much dust and harming the engine.
3. When I ride big whoops the front end feels like it is being pushed down even though I am leaning way back. Does that mean that I need to adjust the rebound or the compression dampening? and if so which way do I need to go with it to make the bike go across them instead of nose diving all the time.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I love riding and just need a little help from the veterans to get me going in the right direction.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can get the k&n kit with a stock pipe. If you put a pipe it will just give it that much more hp. The alba pipe works really well on my ds650. I have a k&n filter and jets and it works wonderful. I recomend it to anyone. But yes you can do this with a stock pipe.

Old 01-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bombardiers are bad about noise diving when jumping i had the same problem but when i jumped it came all the way forward and i broke my collar bone so be careful on that. The K&N filters do really well in dirt its probably the best you can buy. Just Buy and outwear prefilter for it it will just help even more. On jumping i just dont jump and if i do i stay on the gas and it will bring the front end up.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info on the air filter and the jet kit. about the shock.. it's not when jumping I have cleared 20-25' spans at 5' in the air and have no prob with that. it's when riding the big whoops that it tends to nose down real bad. the smaller ones I can fly right over but med to large ones and the nose dives. It feels like it's being pushed from the back shock I just don't know which adjustment to make.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Cain73 try turning up the front shocks a little stiffer jack up the front end and turn the shocks by hand to increse preload it helped on the two i have a few turns does make a differance. turn them a little and take it for a test ride grab the front brake if it still dives ajust them a little more

p.s. dont apply the brakes so hard you will flip the bike be carefull

mike

Old 01-21-2004, 09:09 AM
sam
Pro Rider

cain,
JMO on the jet kit, my cuz has one on his 02 Baja my 00 dont. he runs fmf pc4 I run 5" supertrapp end cap. his feals smother, mine more touqer (sp) harder hiting. is it a real advantage? I think not. when we race I usally leave the line faster but we top out the same. if he gets a jump we will pull about the same it really maters on reaction time, and keeping the front end down. If your in really dusty cond. I would recomend a UNI filter its foam and EZ to wash and oil, it really holds the dust. the KN is good but make sure you use the outerwears. I would concider a 15t sprocket and a mod end cap rather than the jet kit you will get a bigger kick. Again JMO.
Sam

Old 01-21-2004, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: cain73
I am new to ATV's and have questions about how to make my 04 DS650 perform better. I was thinking about getting one of the KN power kits that has the air filter, pre-ware, and dynojet kit.
1. Do I have to pipe it before doing this or will the power kit work with a stock exhaust until I can a Ron Wood?
2. Is the KN filter ok for very dusty conditions? I ride in Florida and have conflicting things about the KN letting in too much dust and harming the engine.
3. When I ride big whoops the front end feels like it is being pushed down even though I am leaning way back. Does that mean that I need to adjust the rebound or the compression dampening? and if so which way do I need to go with it to make the bike go across them instead of nose diving all the time.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I love riding and just need a little help from the veterans to get me going in the right direction.
Cain,

1) Typically the start of turning on the power is a CDI, Pipe and Carb. If you are looking at saving some money, the Mr. Horsepower end cap is a really good option until you can get a full pipe. There are several good CDI choices, including Big Gun and others. The Lectron carb or the TM45 are both good carbs for the DS - the Lectron puts out a little more than the TM45.

2) In My Opinion, if you use the Pre-Filter and keep the filter cleaned and oiled, you'll have no problem with the K&N.

3) The DS is nose heavy - So, you should consider more power options (like the ones mentioned) as well as gearing down on the front sprocket. Try a 15T front or a 14T front.

Marky

Old 01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

see the post on this same page - there are two pages of good info. Or do a search on keywords. All the info you want has been answered on this forum.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where could i get a Mr HP end cap ????

Old 01-21-2004, 02:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

PM me your email address and I can give you the contqact info for the two sources that I know of.

I have the Billet end cap and I can certainly recomend it after a long weekend at Glamis.

Quick Reply: power kits and exhausts