ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/136640-how-carry-2-atvs-still-tow-trailer.html)

Pismo 02-04-2004 04:52 PM

How to carry 2 ATV's and still tow a trailer?

I'm trying to design a way to carry both my quads (DS650 & 250EX) and still be able to pull my tent trailer. I've seen one item on the web that allows you to carry the quads above the bed rail but I don't like the idea of storing that big item around my house. Has anyone designed something that doesn't take up a ton of space and still allows you to use your reciever hitch? Pics would be great.

Thanks in advance[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

raptor03 02-04-2004 04:58 PM

I stand my raptor and my YFZ up in my shortbed DOdge and carry my 23foot trailer,ive done it three times and thy dident budge a bit..

they also started right up after i took them down and just make sure you turn off the gas..

Pismo 02-04-2004 05:12 PM

Thanks for the reply and yes that is an option I've seen and considered but I know someone has to have welded a slick set-up that I can copy. I've thought above adding a cab-over section with a small hand winch to keep the quad at an angle and allow enough room for the 250ex to be in the back with the tail gate down but wanted to see what other people have done and maybe even get some pointers..

Thanks again for the reply

JEFFROE 02-04-2004 06:01 PM

i just got back from vegas, and i saw in the parking lot and pick-up truck with an aluminum 2 place snowmobile trailer on the back with 2 sleds on it. looked slick, but not cheap!!

Musthavefn 02-04-2004 06:17 PM

I seen three on a truck 3 weeks ago. one in the bed and two on top op a plumbers rack, the kind that extend over the cab. Looked like he just added a plywood floor and had a long ramps to drive them up on.

You could make a hitch extention like they have for cab-overs and add a little platform up and suported by the hitch extension to extend you bed past the tail gate. Camping world sells the extensions for cab-overs

Good luck

Rob

wshrdskin 02-04-2004 06:23 PM

I stand one Raptor up in the front of the bed and ride the other Raptor up to the seat of the first. I leave the tail gate down. Sinch everything up tight. I have to take the crank for the front of the trailer off to travel though. But it works great and doesn't cost anything. I'd stand the 250ex up and put the bomb in behind that. Easier to lift the ex I'm sure. Also, on the quad you stand up, turn the gas off and let it run until it quits so when you stand it up no gas runs out etc.

Also, I take 1 tie down from the quad in the back and strap it to the one standing up. That way when you stop the stood up quad does not slam down on your cab. It deosn't move at all.

raptor03 02-04-2004 06:30 PM

I actually fit 5 bikes on my shortbed..JK

DSSleuth 02-04-2004 07:03 PM

I have an ATV Caddy and it goes above the bed. I haul a DS and a scrambler 400 and tow a 22 ft travel trailer. I have a 3/4 ton Chevy shortbed truck to haul everything. I have had absolutely no problems.

The system is made out of aluminum. The ramps 12' long and fold in half to store in the bed. I have had it for two years. I just leave it on the truck and use it for the day trips.

PM me if you have more questions

SandyBear 02-04-2004 07:29 PM

On top of what DSSleuth said....

He has a really sweet system. Easy to load. Rides great. And there is lots of room for your gear under the rack. Check it out.

wshrdskin 02-04-2004 08:46 PM

Originally posted by: DSXBEAR
Check it out.
I'd like to. Where can we see photos of it? TIA