ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   Please give your opinion here (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/137248-please-give-your-opinion-here.html)

brandonDs650 02-08-2004 01:31 PM

Please give your opinion here

I have a 2003 Ds 650 Baja, I have been having this problem with it, I have been riding in the snowy cold weather, with no problems but when in deep fluffy snow thats going everywhere.... My problem just start, here are the symtoms : when plowing threw a deep drift of snow sometimes then or shortly after it will die.. some times it is really hard to get started back up, most of the time you need full choke and it will idle fine, but when you go to rev it up or give it any gas it will die.. sounds to me like it's not getting fuel. after you play with the throttle for awhile you can get it to rev, then you are able to take off and run it threw the gears about the time fifth gear or so comes it will act is if you turned the key off, while it's doing this i have the key on and kill switch on and clutch out and feathering the gas.. i am getting no response, then you paly the waiting to start game, crank and crank till the battery is almost dead, after towing in back to the heated shop, i put the charger on it, went and got fresh fuel, (the tank before had iso-heat in with the gas, i noticed when it was dying the raditor felt not to warm, so i put card board in front of it, (about 4 inches), puled it out side let it run till the fan kicked on, (about 5 min) then tok off and went riding, within 10 mintues it was still doing it, there is was sitting there and it was dead, finally after cranking it forever on full choke i got it to idle, it died 3 time on the way back to the shop about a 700ft drive.. I am stumped please let me know what you think? And the air box was not full of snow and the exhaust was not black , it was normal.. THANKS!

brandonDs650 02-08-2004 01:37 PM

also you don't always have to be plowing threw deep snow for it to die,

jiminok 02-08-2004 01:42 PM

After it dies the next time loosen your gas cap before trying to restart it...sort of sounds like you're tanks vent line is pinched or clogged.

brandonDs650 02-08-2004 01:43 PM

I looked for pinched fuel lines and stuff I could not see anything,, everything looks ok to me,

brandonDs650 02-08-2004 01:46 PM

Of course when it was doing that we opened the gas tank to see if it was emtpy

jiminok 02-08-2004 01:46 PM

Yeah, probably not the fuel line...but if the ventline has moisture in it and it freezes you are experiencing pressure lock in you tank.

brandonDs650 02-08-2004 01:51 PM

the only thing that looks a little pinched is the hose that comes out of the left side of the carb and the goes to the left side and has a phillips end screw deal on the end

jiminok 02-08-2004 02:05 PM

To check the vent line on you tank you have to remove the tank shroud...it's under the shroud near the gas cap and has a little tube that is about 2' long. The tube on your carb that you mentioned is your overflow/drain.

If you checked for gas the last time it did it and it didn't start up after it may not be a pinched vent line.

Check your spark plugs and see if they're black and wet. Check you air mixture setting also...should be about 2-3 turns out from closed (it a little brass screw on the underside of your carb that you can't see because it's recessed--you'll need a short flat tip screw driver or turn your carb sideways).

SANDMAN430 02-08-2004 02:22 PM

my vent tube seemed to plug with some kind of build, that is really what it sounds like a case of no venting.

Eaglecollector 02-08-2004 02:30 PM

When I first read this I was thinking the exact same thing Jim was. Piched off gas tank vent tube.
As you prolly know you need spark, Air/fuel, compression all at the correct time. You may have a problem with spark. Start there. While your plug is out to check for spark. Look to see if it has fuel on it. Do you run your air box with the lid on? If so, are the snorkels clear or full of snow or any other stuff. sure sounds like a vent tube problem. But it could be an intermitent electrial problem too (Coil wire / ground connection??) Hope ya figure it out before you get stranded.