CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

X vs Z,,in MuD & SNO,

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X vs Z,,in MuD & SNO,

It has been a wet cold winter here in New Mexico. This weekend saw sunshine and decent temperatures. We knew there was going to be snow in the higher elevetions where we ride, but it was dry and warm where we parked. With our upcoming "SPring Jamboree" March 26-28, we had some trail riding and GPS work to do before the big event, so off we went. Like we needed an excuse.

We brought a couple of utilities, an old EXP 425 and an OUtlander 400 for anything rough, but we started out with me on my Baja X and my son on his Z.

We hit snow less than a mile from our parking space, and icy water and mud. The DS's silly front fenders worked like a charm, and I was as dry as our friend on a Qwest. My son was drenched with mud and cold water on his Z. Those front fenders are worthless. Cold and wet, he went back to get the EXP.

THen I took a turn on a little trail I didn't recognize and drove right into a mudpit. A strange and unusual thing here in New Mexico. This was a little stream that had dammed up and filled with wet silt and sand.
Literally quicksand. I saw my friend ride by with out seeing me. I was way back. It was cold. I was f@#ked if I couldn't get myself out.

For an hour I tried to dig myself out, pulling the front end back and forth. I put my helmet out on the main trail in case somebody came looking for me. A DS stuck in the mud is really hard for one person to get out. Lots of snow, and only a little daylight left.

Then I got it. Instead of trying to lift the rear wheels out of the mud, which was impossible, I grabbed the nerf bar and the rear wheel on one side and flipped the X up on its side. Then I filled the mud hole and covered it with sticks, set it back down and did the same from the other side. I drove it out, and rejoined my friends who were casually hanging out near camp, no idea I was in trouble. They knew I was exploring and GPSing and figured I was off tracking new trails.

I rode the Outlander the rest of the day, found one great new trail and a couple of connections to existing trails I was looking for. What an adventure! Next time, cell phone, tow strap.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Wow, Alex I'm tired after reading that story! Glad you dug out man! I think I'm going to carry a tow rope myself from now on!

Old 03-08-2004, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

And our wives ask us why we are so tired after riding.....little do they know the things that we get ourselves into. Glad you got it out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-08-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

ya i've been there quite a few times, especially gettin stuck in the snow, usually after awhile i'll just lay in the snowbank to catch my breathe, those are definetly the times i wish i was still riding my old lt185 wit the reverse and lightweight

Old 03-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, that sounds like a not so fun time. Also make sure your riding buddies are a little closer to you and see where you go - that way if you get stuck then you've got two people working the problem.

Glad to hear you made it out OK - it sounds like you really used your head though - never having been stuck in anything but sand I'm not sure I would have thought that up. I'll have to keep it in mind for the future.