CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

end cap or full pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stion is atend cap or full pipe?

I hear a lot of people on here rave about the modded end cap. My question is at what point of engine modification is it more beneficial to run a full pipe such as woods or the graydon over the end cap , or is it more dependant on carb selection? Thanks for the help and advice

Old 05-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default end cap or full pipe

The old debate was slip on vs. full exhaust. Most agreed that a good slip on flowed adequately for an engine without internal mods. The benefits of a full exhaust would not be seen with out internal mods. Alot of people claim that an end cap can perform just as well as a slip on. One advantage to a slip on is weight savings.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

the reason I'm asking is I just got an 02 baja that at one time had the full stage three hit on it . the guy had trouble selling it with all the goodies so he took off the pipe, tm45, ported intake and cdi put all the oem back on but left all the internal goodies . It does have a modified enc cap, but it will barely outrun my stock 03. It pretty much depends on holeshot as to who will win. So whats it gonna take to make it scream?

Old 05-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

A full stage 3 kit would have a ported head w/ larger valves, ported intake, cams, springs, high compression piston, cdi, carb and full exhaust.

You are currently running a stock exhaust with end cap, stock carb, stock intake, stock cdi, with a high compression piston, ported head larger valves with cams and springs?

That would definitely be an odd setup. Are you sure you have those internal mods? If the bolt on parts would deter him from selling the quad, then internal engine mods would really be a deterrent to some. Do you know what compression piston you are running? What size valves? What cams?

I don't think your exhaust is the problem, I doubt your stock carb will flow enough to keep up with the modified head.

Old 05-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

I know it has all the goodies because I know the previous owner. Piston I believe is 11-1. head is ported with bigger valves and titanium springs. Will the modded end cap support yhe flow with a lectron 46hv through this motor? I'd like to make it a runner again but keep the appearance mostly stock. So what are the recomendations? Thanks